1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz 4 string fretless, like geddy lee sig?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CDT, Apr 6, 2006.

1. CDT

CDT

May 29, 2005
    triad, nc
    I want to get a 4-string jazz fretless, lined FB with passive J pu's for around $600-$700..at least the same quality level as my GL CIJ fender..

I know about the fender japan fretless basses..they look sweet...but I won't order a bass from Japan....If I have a problem, what do I do? pay $120 shipping just to return it? no. I really don't like ordering an instrument I've never played..but in this day and age we almost have to unless we live in a large metro area..BTW, I'm in NC so if anyone knows of some cool bass shops let me know..

ok, so the MIA fenders seem fine...they're a little above $1k though and in my experience trying out fretted versions, they're a little inconsistent in quality and sound. The MIM's I've played, quite frankly, felt cheap and had no mojo.

if anyone knows of a manufacture that I can look at in this price range let me know..

thanks...

2. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Honestly I think you would do better getting one from Japan. I have rarely heard of anyone having problems with the basses shipped from Japan. Most cases they are set up better then the basses hanging on the wall of most stores. My Fender '62 Reissue fretless came setup perfect right out of the box. Buying it was a no brainer.....spend $1300 on the Jaco model or $716 for the Japanese one.

Also mine was packed extremely well.

3. CDT

CDT

May 29, 2005
    triad, nc
    I see your point...thanks for the info. Who did you buy from, if you don't mind my asking?

4. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I got mine from GuitarJapan.com. I know there are some other sites with a bit better pricing, but these guys were great to work with. They take PayPal which makes sending them the money easy. And they said it would take 1 week for me to get it....and they were right on the money.

I found it best to order via email. They may have options (colors, etc) that are not listed on the site. Which was in my case. I wanted a sunburst but they only had black and white listed on their site. They did indeed have the sunburst. And I must say it is a killer bass. I get many positive comments on the sound from other bass players when I go to open jams.

5. CDT

CDT

May 29, 2005
    triad, nc
    cool. Thanks for the info.

I just bought one like yours...I'm not a big buyer/trader/seller...I buy gear and play the heck out of it. I know my geddy is a keeper and I feel this bass will be as well.

wonder how difficult it would be to put a guard on? I'd have to drill...a tort would look pretty cool I think..

6. CDT

CDT

May 29, 2005
    triad, nc
    thought I'd follow up.

I just got it today, ordered last thursday..actually I missed the delivery guy for 2 days and had to pick it up today.

shipped from japan on friday, 4-7 and was in NC on the 11th...

I played it for about 15 minutes on my lunch hour.

initial impressions:

everything feels and sounds great except for the cheaper MIM-type knobs (easily replaceable)..it's alder like the geddy but feels lighter (my geddy is at my rehearsal space, so no direct comparison yet). excellent quality and sound. I laid the pickguard on it and definetly want to get it installed.

..think I'm going to like this fretless thing :)

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I thought that bass came with a pickguard, one that you could install if you chose.

8. CDT

CDT

May 29, 2005
    triad, nc
    yeah the PG does come uninstalled. I meant I just laid the PG on the bass and liked the look of it.

Thing is I gotta find screws and a steady hand to drill the holes in the body. I think I'll play it a while without it and see if it grows on me. This thing is killer...I don't care for the strings all that much and ASAP I'll get a set of d'add xl lights on it...

:)

9. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I ended up putting on chrome P-bass type knobs ..ala Jaco look! I prefer it without the pickguard. I like to see wood (no comments from the perverts in the peanut gallery)!

10. Based largely on your good experiences, I just ordered a 62 RI fretless from guitarjapan.com, too. I'll check back in when it arrives...

- Rob