1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz 5 hide G string tuner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DonaldR, Nov 26, 2017.

1. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    Hi.

I really like my Jazz 5 (4+1 tuners) but I think the G string tuner looks kind of weird and out of proportion compared to a Jazz 4. So is there any tuner that will hide the G string clover tuner and make my Jazz 5 looks like a Jazz 4?

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You shouldn't be able to see it from youur playing angle. And I assure you nobody else in the entire room cares.....at all....none.....zero.

Even OCD audience members don't care. Even people allergic to odd numbers don't care. Even that guy whose father died trying to teach him to add 4+1 doesn't care.

So, if you can't see it while you're on stage, and nobody else cares, I would let it go.

But, good luck with your sesrch.

3. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    :roflmao:

4. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    But me I care!!!! And I see it on the rack and everytime I get my Jazz 5 out of the case :(
    Also it would fit better in my gigbag, so that's not nothing ;)

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Trade it in for an older 5 inline jazz. They don't make 'hidden' tuners.

6. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Hm. Let's see. Perhaps, a tuner with an extra-long post, mounted through a shallow wooden cylinder glued to the back of the headstock to allow for the button, installed so that it's behind the HS as opposed to being visible at its edge as usual, to turn freely. The button itself should be small, as in guitar-syle or a little larger. The only part visible from the front would be the tuning post, which on 4+1 headstocks is around where the coin-shaped string tree is on a 4-banger anyway.
    Of course, you'd need to source, make or have someone make such an extra-long-post tuner.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    tlc1976 likes this.
  7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    If it's chrome, switch it out for black and only stand in front of dark colored backgrounds.

Or get out your router and move it behind the bridge.
    bc_rich_bich8bass_307tpcu.

Josh Kneisel likes this.
  8. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Get a headless bass? No headstock, no tuners to worry about.

9. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    1. Remove G string and its tuner.
    2. Put sticker over hole.
    3. Play your bass.

Dr_Feelgoood212 and lz4005 like this.
  10. RattleSnack

RattleSnack Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    How about moving D string tuner next to G? I always thought that 3+2 headstock looks better than 4+1.

Lownote38 likes this.
  11. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan

Invisibility cloak

Grind down the tuner key into a hex. Remount the key so it protrudes behind the headstock. Use an offset nut driver to turn it. This is assuming there's even room for that. I'm at lunch at work, no bass here. Hence why I can see Youtube.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  12. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    FA5C3B3C-E23B-466E-8D4C-55385B35801D.

smogg, lz4005 and HaphAsSard like this.
  13. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    I really like TB humor this Monday :laugh:
    I was thinking of something similar to what drummer are using to tune drum heads. Or maybe only the tuning post where I can insert an allen key.

14. bradd

bradd

Jan 27, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Banjo tuner.

15. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    You could have someone weld the bolt part of a drum head bolt onto a cut down bass tuner. But if you ever forget the tuning key, you wouldn’t be able to tune the bass.

16. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Me thinks you are worried about the wrong thing.

lz4005, Fender_Bender and RichSnyder like this.
  17. I’m curious if someone could design a tuner where you could just remove the knob from the tuner machine and attach it to the back of the headstock or something. I’ve had a few 4+1 headstock basses and it’s not my favorite look but also not something I care that much about.
    9D4583B6-5813-4BD3-A033-A50911D82CDC. 644D4DB0-C427-4578-A75A-BD7BF0E38365.

18. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Doesn’t mononeon put a sock over his headstock? That would cover the tuner.

tlc1976 likes this.
  19. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

Good idear - I didn't like the inline 5 tuners in the past, but it's actually a cool look - and they're usually the mini-style 5 tuners inline - a clean look.

20. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

I dig the Lakland 3+2 headstock.