Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jazz 5 or stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael R, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Michael R

Michael R

Nov 20, 2003
    Henderson, TN
    Well I've been playing an Ibanez GSR200 for about 2 years now so I've decided it's about time for an upgrade. I've got it narrowed down to either a 5 string Fender American Jazz bass or a 5 string Musicman Stingray although other suggestions are welcome. I've played the jazz on several occasions at the local music store and I really liked it but I haven't gotten to play the ray yet. I play mostly harder rock fingerstyle and occasionally with a pick. So which bass do yall think would best suit me?

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think that either would make great rock instrument with a slight edge to the bright sound of the Stingray 5. I have owned a couple and they are great instruments. I would put one against basses costing twice the price. Finally, the Stingray has fairly close string spacing for a five which might be nice for a pick player.

3. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    the jazz 5'ers ive played had a really sloppy b-string so if you're going to use that much with agressive playing i would go for the sr5 since its tighter. i dont think the stringspacing is too narrow on the sr5, play both and get what you like the best.

4. I went through the same process and kept going back to the Stingray, it just felt the best in my hands and I liked the tone better too.

I bought my SR5 last month after playing anything I could get my hands on. It was the one for me.

Make sure you play everything and then see what you gravitate back to, then play them as much as you can before you buy!

I'm sure you will be happy with either one, but as someone else said, for the type of music you play, I'm guessing you will like the SR5 a little better.

George

5. Michael R

Michael R

Nov 20, 2003
    Henderson, TN
    Well after doing a little research on the stingray, I found that I have a choice of either a maple or a rosewood fretboard. I'm not really sure of the differences in sound and feel so if someone could explain them, that would be appreciated.

6. If you were talking about 4-stringers, I'd say go for the Jazz any day...but unfortunately, the B is a little floppy on the Jazz 5, and the B on a Ray is about as tight as they come...so I'm gonna say go with the Ray. Don't get me wrong, I used to have a Jazz V, and I had very little trouble with the B string - with heavier guage srtings the B really tightens up - but still not to the level of the Ray. And for agressive playing (especially w/ the pick) the tight B will be a factor...and Rays do have a killer soud.

7. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I tried a few Jazz 5's and didn't find anything that turned me on.

I finally got to play a real StingRay5 for the first time last weekend. (Yeah, I know. "What took you so long?") It's a great instrument.

By the way, if anyone in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area is bass shopping, there's a very nice Ray5 at Murphy's Music on 183 in Irving. Black with black pearliod pickguard, black painted headstock, rosewood fretboard. Someone needs to hurry up and buy the damn thing because I can feel myself "gravitate back to" it, and I've bought enough basses for a while. :oops:

8. If you want a 5 string Jazz, a Sadowsky.

And if you want a stingray, go that.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    if choosing between just those 2 or something in that price range... I'd get a G&L L-2500 :bassist: but an FMT or Marcus Jazz V would be possibilities too.

10. As a Stingray5 owner, even though I never play with a pick, yeah, the Stingray5 all the way.

There's just something so inherently wrong with any 5-string Fender bass, I don't think I'll ever come around to take them seriously as legitimate 5-stringers.

Besides, on the Stingray5, the pickup selector gives you the option of a P-ish, a J-ish and a classic Stingray tone.

11. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    'Ray all the way. It's just in a different class.
    Since you want to be heard well in a rock band, the 'Ray has a tone that just gets through the mix no matter what.

It also has one of the best B strings out there, particularly fro a 34" scale. My friends 'Ray B was even superior to 2 35" scale 5s I had lately.

12. JerseyFunk

JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    Do yourself a favor and take a look at the Lakland Skyline
    55-02. It's a 35" scale neck and has a really tight B string. The pickup config allows you to get several tones including the MM and Jazz tones. I just received my 55-02 and I gotta say it's one of the most comfortable necks I've played on, and there are so many tones to choose from.

Fretboard differences.
    Rosewood has a warm smooth sound but very capable of some brightness.
    A maple board delivers a brighter, or more of a crisp tone then rosewood.
    Ebony (my personal favorite) seems to combine the best attributes of maple and rosewood.

13. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Although it's already been said, between the 2, go with the Music Man. Fender B strings are kind of flubby, the SR5's is rockin'. :bassist:

14. StingRay5 all the way. While 4-string Jazzes are awesome, Fender really missed the boat with the 5-string version, IMHO.

15. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'm gonna jump in here with a vote for the Fender 5... I recently purchased one off of ebay as my first five string and it had everything that I was looking for, namely w-i-d-e string spacing and killer tone. I'm okay with the active EQ, for now anyway... Granted, the 'Rays are great, but didn't do it for me... Just not the tone I'm looking for...

String tension is another matter... I believe that it is more the string than the bass... A 34" B string tuned to pitch will exert the same tension on any bass. Stability of the neck may play a factor, but pitch is pitch... Of the two 'Rays that I've played, (one for several hours over the course of a jam day), one B was superb and one was... meh... The one that felt best to me was a .130", (I asked) My Fender is sporting a .145" and that sucker is taut! Great sounding B!

I'd say that Stingrays are probably always going to win a poll of this sort. They're great basses, as noted, and have earned their following. Take the information you've gathered from this thread for what it is... people's opinions and experiences... Combine this with your own opinions and experiences and make the choice that's best for you :D

-robert

16. I'd say SR5 all the way. It's the least expensive "good honest 5" in my opinion. The workmanship definitely exceeds the price point. The tone sits very well in the mix too. I sold a Lakland 55-94 to "downgrade" and I've never looked back. Plus I bought a 4 string MIA Jazz with the left over money!

17. Michael R

Michael R

Nov 20, 2003
    Henderson, TN
    I've heard only good things about the tone from an sr5 but I've also heard that they are somewhat on the heavy side? Upon weighing my GSR I found that it weighs 6 lbs. Is an sr5 going to be a big change from that? I can play my gsr for several hours and experience no fatigue. How long can most of you play your sr5's without getting worn out?

18. JerseyFunk

JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    I just went to the EB/MM site and it sayd the SR5 is 10 lbs - varries slightly.
    Here's the link SR5 Specs

Just weighed my Lakland 55-02 it's at 8 lbs.

Those SR5's are pretty sweet looking. I just wish there were more tone options with them.

19. I played a teal green SR5 with a rosewood board about six weeks ago, and though it was not the first time I had played one, the B string on this one really surprised me. It wasn't good, it was excellent. Other SR5s had good Bs, but this one was great.

Mike

20. For any 5 string I would suggest a wide padded strap. It really offsets any extra weight.