Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz 5 pickup - best B ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hollowteeth, Jan 23, 2006.

1. hollowteeth

hollowteeth

Jun 22, 2005
    London, UK
    Hi, i`ve read a lot of threads on replacing pups in 4 string Jazz`s, but what pup can handle a B the best on a Jazz 5 ?
    Imo the pickup is the most important link in the chain when reproducing the B string. I`ve played 34/ 35" scales, string through bodies and they all alter the sound. But i keep noticing that what really alters the tightness of the B`s sound is the pups. Anybody found a killer B Jazz pickup ??

2. ganga

ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    I'm using a NJ5F set from nordstrand together with my Fender Jazz. I wasn't much for playing the B string before because there was no bottom at all, but now it's really fat and equal to the other strings. Great pickup. :)

I've heard Fralins should be great too, but I've only tried Nordies.

3. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    roscoe beck 5,passive.

4. hollowteeth

hollowteeth

Jun 22, 2005
    London, UK
    Thanks, i keep getting pointed towards Nordstrand. Anybody tried their humbuckers ?

5. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I played a Nordie 5-String at NAMM and loved the tone. How much was the bass and how much was the pickups is hard to tell but the "B" on that bass was tight and powerful.

6. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    ...and it was a Jazz V style bass?

7. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Nordie design w/ Jazz style 5-string pickups. I honestly can't remember if the were the noiseless or the single coils though.