Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz 5's?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Da Funk Docta, May 30, 2004.

1. I play alot of diffrent fender jazz bass four strings, but want to give a 5 a chance. I have seen the MIA's which are passive, and the MIM's which look about the same. I haev heard that its possible to find MIM's that are just as good, so i think ill just go looking for a MIM. But, i would like to know the absolute best passive pickup to upgrade it to and be hum free. I have heard good things about the dimarzio pickups, what would you suggest?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    a humbucker....

beyond that, look at whatever you prefer 4 string wise. I've heard the Fender Jazz 5 have different sized routes so you'll need to becareful what you buy.

I've got Dimarzio Ultra Jazz in my fretted 5 Benavente and a set of Bart jazz (p in a j case type #1) in my defretted Hamer... both have great tone IMHO. But the tone of my new fretless 6 Benavente smokes the other 2 and I may end up shipping the fretted 5 back to get it upgraded to some John Suhr's like the fretless 6

3. if my information is correct, arnt the barts actives and the dimarzios humbuckers? i dont really liek the sound of the big massive humbuckers personally. i want to stay with a single coil looking pickup. would the barts run on batterys? cuz i really dont want to deal with a battery useing bass. any suggestions on a humbucking single coil pickup?

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

single coils hum... a hum *canceled* single coil is one matched to an equal 2nd single coil with both @ equal volume... making the pair act as a pseudo humbucker

My bart jazz 5 pickups are passive as are the DiMarzio ultra (humbuckers... but in a jazz shape, a lot of jazz pickups are)

only "Active" pickups I know that are readily availible are EMG

there is a big difference between, active pickups and passive pickups hooked to an active pre

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Humbucking pickups don't have to be active pickups and vice versa. Bart only make one set of active pickups to my knowledge, nearly everything they do is passive. Where did you get this information you're talking about?

But there's really no such thing as a humbucking single coil -humbucking takes place where there is more than one coil. Whether it be a humbucking pickup or, as speddling said, two single coil pickups which hum cancel with both at max volume.

Bartolini 5 string Jazz bass pickups are inline humbuckers - i.e. instead of two stacked coils there's one magnet covering say E and B, and another covering A, D and G strings. So you get humbucking without the usual humbucker sound.

The Dimarzio Ultrajazz 5 pickups use the same approach.

Unfortunately there's no standard for 5 string Jazz pickup sizes, some basses have two bridge length (3.75") J pickups - i.e. the Warwick Thumb 5. The Dimarzios fit that description.

Check out this page at bestbassgear.com, which is a great online pickups retailer, for a description of the various pickup size permutations for 5 string jazz basses:

http://www.bestbassgear.com/bartolini-5-string-j-pickups.htm

6. well, thats reallly good to know :) ! but im still not sure what to get.... dimarzio's or bartolini's? I'm more than cool with cutting the wood, but i just dont know which would give me the best tone. im looking for the growliest bridge and the best sounding neck. The tone im looking for in general is deep and punchy but not muddy. which would give me the best effect?

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'd suggest reading the sticky thread at the top of this forum, which has lots of pickup reviews by SMASH who did a boat load of J pickup comparisons.
    I'm thinking you'd probably be best off with the Barts, the DM J's are in my experience slightly woolly - they have great punch but not the best clarity. But read the thread at the top, and look at some other online pickup review places like harmony-central.com and bgra.net