Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Amps (if there are such things)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zoroaster03, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Ok, I've done a search but nothing's come up, so I'll ask:

For a small jazz quintet (bass, drums, piano, two singers), usually in small playing areas, what kind of amp would I need (for electric bass guitar, not upright.) I wouldn't know an amp if I tripped over one (and I should, i know, but no-one can/will show me) so any advice would be great.

Any.:D

2. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    The SWR Workingman's combo's are nice. Available in Australia too. ;)

3. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    If you're on a budget, the previously mentioned SWR. If not, then maybe a used iAmp 350...or one of the new iAmp 800's, both from Euphonic Audio.

4. I've had great results with an Acoustic Image Clarus head and either an Eden CXM-110 or Aguilar GS112 cabinet.

5. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    The Gallien-Krueger MB150...perfect for upright..!

6. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    Back in the 80s or 90s there were Peterson combo's, very nice for jazz. Small and lightweight, nice wood finish, EV speakers. Anyone know if Peterson is still in business?

7. hartke. I play mainly jazz and this is 'my' preferred rig. Are you looking for Amp heads withou speaker cabs or a whole amplification 'system'?

8. If you decide to go with the Gallien-Krueger MB150, you may want to act fast if you want the MB150E. The chorus chip is no longer available so GK will only be able to produce about 20 more of these. The MB150S doesn't have chorus so it'll still be in production.

9. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    All the suggestions are good but he lives in Australia and most of the amps mentioned arent available in this country.

10. Buh? :confused:

11. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I use a GK Backline 112. Works very well with both upright and electric, though you won't need it for upright I see. Loud, light, fairly inexpensive! I got mine for $270 U.S. :)

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Zoroaster03,

Do you have any music shops nearby? Take your bass and try what they've got in stock. If you can take one or two of your bandmates, that would be a real bonus - you can then work out what gives the right balance of size, weight, sound and cost for your needs.

Sound is obviously the key factor (which is why it's a good idea to take your main bass along to try it) but the other elements should also be considered.

Another strategy is to talk to the bassists for other bands who are playing the same venues as you. What do they use to get the job done?

Wulf

ps. FWIW, I used to have an SWR Workingman's 12" combo - if they are available to try, I'd say it's definitely worth checking them out. I traded mine up for my present Ashdown rig because I needed more power, but the sound was very good.

13. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I second this - sounds great at low to medium volume, nice and thick, but still crystal clear. it's what I use for jazz or musicals.

14. The MB150 sounds great on both electric bass and upright. Especially for Jazz

The Australian distributor is
    Electric Factory
    188 Plenty Road
    Preston 3072 Victoria
    613 9480 5988

They can help you find a GK dealer in Australia.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i third the Acoustic Image. but if you've got money to burn, i'd pick a Bergantino HT112 over all the other cabs anyday! adds a gooey, sweet, glassy roundness to the proceedings.

but if you dont have the benjamins to light your cigars, try the GK M150 combo's. suuuper lightweight, and sound very nice.

if you can find one, look for a GK M100 combo with the two 8" speakers. during my afterschool jazz program, the instructor's bass player friend brought one, and i was always amazed at the huge sound he got with his 6 string.

16. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I just play in my college's jazz band, and I use my SWR LA-12. It sounds decent enough, but if you're actually going to play out you're probably going to need some more power.

Every now and then I go to Providence, RI to see this jazz band play and the bass player (who is fantastic, by the way) uses an SWR SM-400s and a Bag End 15" cabinet.... I'm not sure of the model of it, but he always sounds great. It might be worth checking out.

By the way, the club that band plays in is called Bovi's... has anyone in the area ever been there?

17. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Funny you mention that. I've had this amp (the 150E) for about 10 years now and just used the chorus for the first time on a gig two nights ago-not that I really needed to. The parametric EQ on the 150E is helpful though and I think there are some extra in and out jacks on the back that are handy that the 's' model doesn't have.