jazz and blues guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lewi_wilko, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    Hey, i have allways wanted to learn guitar (properly) and i am at the level of bass playing i wanted to get to before i started properly learning guitar. I can play the instrument quite well and i would like to get into some good blues and jazz things to start playing. I have listened to buddy guy and i like him but from most of the things i have heard the lead guitar is playing mainly improvised solo's whilst the rhythm guitar is normaly playing some kind of blues scale, and this isnt what i realy want to get into whilst playing guitar.
    I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on some jazz or blues guitarists to get into.

2. For Blues, one guy I just recently got into is Smokin' Joe Kubek.

Here's his best of album. www.smokinjoekubek.com/bestof.htm

I like track #9 best, although this 30 second sample doesn't let you hear the solo.

For Jazz, check out:

Wes Montgomery and Grant Geissman for two different styles from two different eras.

I'll think of others.

3. Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    thank you, i was also wondering if anyone knew some blues or jazz solo guitar pieces.
  4. You'll be getting plenty of good recommendations from the guys & gals here in the next few hours. ;)

5. Go to Google and type in Vestapol Videos. That's Stefan Grossman's site. Get any and all of his "Jazz Legends", "Barney Kessel", "Joe Pass" and "Wes Montgomery" videos. These guys should make your eyes pop out. Nobody was hotter than Barney Kessel, cooler than Wes Montgomery, or as technically astounding as Joe Pass.....and they all played the blues.....well a somewhat complicated version of the blues.
  6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Robert Johnson