jazz and blues

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MM playerrrr EB, Feb 1, 2009.

1. who should i listen to to get up on the jazz and blues styles of playing

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Jazz and blues. :D

On the jazz side, pick some representative recordings from the period from the swing era through bebop. The Count Basie Orchestra, perhaps Coltrane's "Giant Steps," Bill Evans "Sunday at the Village Vanguard," and anything that Ray Brown ever recorded. I love Ray Brown because his playing is simple and direct -- great resource to learn from.

3. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I'd start by listening to jazz and blues. :bag:

Surely there's a reason you want start playing jazz and blues. Perhaps mentioning those reasons would help someone answer your extremely broad question.

4. i'd just like to better my playing for personal reasons. i'm perfectly fine where i'm at with the styles that i'm playing (metal and punk) but i just feel like being better

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Nothing wrong with that at all. Even though I am a working jazz bassist, my motivation for playing still boils down to a personal desire to enjoy playing and improve my craft.

I suggest lurking at the "Jazz Technique" forum over on the double bass side. You can find some threads on getting started. Also, two of our own TB'ers have instructional books that are regarded as excellent:

Ed Fuqua: http://www.shermusic.com/new/1883217504.shtml

Ed Friedland: http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Bass-Ed-Friedland/dp/0793565170

6. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    For blues -- John McVie. Bluesbreakers, very early Fleetwood Mac. Can't go wrong there.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021