Jazz and humbuckers

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Ive heard countless complaints about the humming on MIM Jazzes. Is there any way to get rid of it without replacing the pickups? I read somewhere that the new ones have non-humming pickups. True or not?

What kind of sound can 2 passive humbuckers (like those found on Epiphones) produce? Can you get something close to a Fender Jazz?
  2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I dont know if Fender has solved the hum problem yet on the MIM J's.(If they havent,they better).I bought a new one in January that hummed terribly.The other ones at the same shop(a reputable one,I might add)also hummed.I replaced them with Fender Lace-Sensor pickups and the hum is gone.Some trimming was required to install the new pickups.

If youre thinking about a MIM J,try it before you buy it. If it hums,youll have to replace the pickups.In hindsight,for the time/money I spent on the MIM,I probably could have found a used MIA in the same price range.
  3. Either reverse a pickup or flip the wiring, to drastically reduce the hum.
  4. This will also drastically reduce your output from the strings. This puts not only the hum, but the string induced signal out of phase.

5. There are several things that can be done to quiet your MIM Fender but it ain't gonna go away with the stock PUs in there. Upgrading your pots and output jack to Switchcraft parts, shielding the control cavity, checking the ground wire is making good contact to the bridge a lot of times a protective coating needs to be scraped or sanded off, putting a little twist into the pickup wires between the pickups and controls. There are a number of aftermarket PUs that are quiet but they are humbucking dual coil pickups either split or stacked..
  6. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
  7. I don't think they ever will fix the hum in the MIMs... mainly becasue they DON'T CARE about the MIMs... they want to you to buy the more expiensive one... they always have and always will.
  8. Well, I neednt worry. My MIM Jazz doesnt hum at all when there are no flourescent lights or TVs on.
  9. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    Fender hasn't fixed to problem. I bought mine a month ago. I ordered it, so it came straight from Fender. So, it's very recent. And it hums like crazy. Well, it did and then I got the Dimarzio Ultra jazz pickups.
  10. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I'd say buy the mexican and upgrade it to american pups.