1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz and Jaguar in one bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Essen, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    Half a year ago I bought a Fender Jaguar. The sound options are pretty much limitless. Though a month ago i tried an american standard jazz bass, and I really liked the sound (which I can't make with my jag). I was wondering if it would be possible to put a second tone pot plate from a jazz bass into my jag, so that I'd have two jack plates with the tone switches and all that. Or do i simply have to replace the pups with standard american jazz?:meh:

2. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    Anyone?

3. fender3x

fender3x

Mar 12, 2006
    I would guess the answer is no. In passive mode, the tone controls on both basses (both only have one passive tone control) should be pretty much exactly the same, so you shouldn't get a different sound.

If the pickups were the same, and you left both basses in passive mode, turned both PUs "on" on the jag, and both volume pots wide open on the jazz the tone should be pretty much the same.

But, the PUs are not the same... Fender Vintage on the jag, Fender AmStandards on the jazz. You could probably get closest by putting the AmStandards on the jag. That would change all the sounds of the jag, but you'd still have a lot of sounds to choose from.

With the jag you have a switch for serial/parallel. You don't have that on the jazz, but it's not tough to add.

The only thing you can do with the Jazz that you can't do with the jag is roll off the volume of PUs individually. PUs on the jag are either on or off...but for that slight difference, you get the whole active tone selection on the jag, which is really cool.

You might be able to a second volume control (say with a stacked pot) so that you could control both both PUs individually...Other's smarter than me can comment on how if that's what you want...

But I'd bet money the main tone difference is the PUs.