Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz and other songs where to find?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by punk_bassist48, Aug 6, 2004.

1. :eyebrow: im a bassist thats been around for two years, i practice and play reguarly, at the moment i am trying to get a variety in the songs i play, to do this i would like to learn different styles. I need to know where i can find some tab or sheet music on the internet for sme jaz, classical and other style songs, the popular tab sites all contain the ppular songs? so if someone could please tell me the name of some good songs, bands or groups to play that i can get tab to it would be very helpful

Thankyou
    Matt Seakins
    :help:

2. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Tab Forum? Sorry, I'm not aware of any of the online sources, but you'd probably do well to pick up a "Real Book".

5. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Sorry, but tab is only going to help you play note for note what somebody else has already played. That would only help you for popular songs for a cover band, and most of us on this forum would recommend you not use tab but instead use your ears.

But Jazz is not about playing note for note what someone played on a record. Most people on this site who play jazz want to find the chord chart to a song and then work out original lines to those chord charts, maybe based on listening to a great bass player play that song or a similar song.

The "The Real Book (5th Edition)" is the business for jazz, not thee Sher Music New Real Book. There are a couple of volumes of this that look like:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sometimes you can get the real Real Book on CD on ebay.

Do a search on Yahoo or Google for something like "must know jazz standards" or even do a search for "Autumn Leaves Girl from Ipanema All the Things you Are Summertime", any list that has all those should show up and be a good list.

Here is a good one:

Marc Sabatella's Jazz Improvisation Primer: Jazz Standards

Oh, and you gotta learn the difference between an original bass line to a chord progression and an original solo line to a chord progression. They are different things.

Tim99.