Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz AND P bass in one instrument

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Murf, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hi guys,
    This is probably a dumb question but I've never come across this before and I was wondering if its common practice?

Anyway, I recently purchased a GORGEOUS MIA Fender Fretless Jazz bass off a pro gigging/session buddy of mine and I've discovered he has it setup in a really unique configuration, basically its a defretted (with the ole Jaco epoxy on the fingerboard) 97 Fender Jazz with a badass2 bridge so it has this gorgeous singing tone and amazing sustain (the epoxy really does change the character of the tone).

The thing which impressed me the most is that he replaced the stock Fender Jazz pickups with 2 Dimarrzios (sp), the bridge pup is a Jazz and the neck is a Precision pup....its incredible..with both pups up full I get the Jazz bass tone but with a little extra 'ooomph', if I back off the neck pup I get the pure Jaco tone BUT if I solo the neck pup I get the Jamerson/Motown sound:eek: It really is amazing and all in one bass.

So I was wondering is this kinda pickup configuration common?..It really has to be heard to be believed, I mean why bother buying a P and a J bass when you can setup one instrument like this?
    Or is this an exception?

Interested in hearing your thoughts on this

cheers.

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Kind of...
    Fender do the "Hot Rodded" P bass which is the same config.
    i.e. P neck J bridge.
    Never sounded quite "right" to me though.
    I don't recall having seen it done on a Jazz body though!

P.S.
    How about a Pic??

3. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Damn right, as soon as I get near the work scanner without anyone seeing me;)

4. What ? you cannot use the work scanner ?

just ask, you'll be amazed ;)

5. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Well, yeah , normally, but after that unfortunate incident with the ferrets and the sawdust I have to choose my scanner time more carefully.

ferrets

:D

6. the Stu Hamm urge II is true P and jazz

Jazz P Jazz

quite funny looking if i say so my self...

7. P J setups are fairly common, but normally they have P bodies. I'm looking for a PJ with a Jazz body, like Sadowsky, but without the $3000 price tag. :D

my plan is buying a Jazz, pulling the neck pup, replacing it with a P, and getting a custom pickguard.

Jazz body, PJ setup. Yum. :)

8. im lookin for a bass with the P/J pup config with a J body, too.

i'll probably end up takin' out the neck J pup, swap in a QTR-PDR Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio Ultra Jazz.

9. Cort45

Cort45

Mar 1, 2002
    US, TX, Austin
    like this?

[​IMG]

btw, is that a p or j body?

10. snaggletooth............ why dont you order one from warmoth and kind of build it yourself...?

11. The Urge-II looks like it has the pickups in the right place.

But... what happens when you want a P with flats, and a J with rounds?

IMO, better to have two basses.

12. Elliott

Elliott

Mar 20, 2000
    Put the flatwounds in the scanner, MIDI the ferrets up, and sprinkle the sawdust around your SWR to appease the Bass Gods. :)

Aren't there pickups that are two jazz bass pickups connected into a giant humbucker? Put in one of those puppies at the bridge, coil tap it, put in a P-bass pickup at the neck and you got all the truly important bass sounds covered!! Then put a signal splitter in for your tube amp, your hybrid, and your Galien Kruger, and then set up cabinets all around the club for the Sensaround experience and crank it up . . . Sorry - I digressed.

I have very good luck with a EMG pickups in a jazz with a Sadowsky outboard preamp unit. The outboard gives the neck pickup a Precision feel, IMHO. Not quite like the real thing, I admit.