Jazz ashtray on a p bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Da Funk Docta, Jun 3, 2004.

1. I'm thinking about getting a MIM P-bass and upgradeing the hell out of it and putting on some ash trays and a tort pickguard. My main question is if a jazz bass bridge ashtray would fit on a p-bass and if it does fit... would there be any cons to haveing one on it?
  2. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    it fits, but would look weird. reduces the amount of string area that you'd have to play on. I have the P-bass ashtray on my P-J. I use either the pickup ashtray or the Jazz pickup to rest my thumb on. Or both ashtrays to rest my thumb and pinky on when I'm doing Steve Harris type gallops.
  3. Yeah, it does look wierd. I wanted to do that on my P, with an old J ashtray, and mine even has a J coil...but I think it looks waaaaaay odd. Then again, I don't find it terribly attractive on a J either, come to think of it...

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Having an ash tray on your bridge really limits the amount of playing room and styles, i would just get one over the main neck pick up.
  5. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    The actual purpose was a housing to hold the string mutes to cut-back un-wanted overtones,I think putting them on a MIM bass just for looks is NOT.
    On an old bass they rock because they belong there(even the re-issues look alright because the bass is a replica)I would spend the money on an up-grade that would better the performance(frett-level,bad-ass bridge,better p-ups,hard-wareETC.)spending money on looks when there are more important things to consider is frivelous at best.
    I'm not trying to be cynical,just giving my opinion on the topic,good luck with whatever you choose to do.
  6. Thanks for all the responses! Looking classy means alot to me, and the bridge cover looks spiffy. im thinking maybe ill just use the P bass one, but i like the fender F... but we'll see. I was also thinking about other upgrades, but i think ill keep the bridge, but the frets will probobly need leveling, and also a new pickup couldnt hurt.... duncans sound good? am i getting off topic?..... ok wrong forum, but if you want to, just post it i guess :)
  7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    *sigh* There is nothing wrong with putting some work into the aesthetics of bass. You might as well go screaming at companies/luthiers who use figured tops, knobs that don't have numbers on them, different coloured hardware, different shaped pickguards, or any body style other than a wood slab. Part of customizing one's own instrument is also in the aesthetics -- sure, it may sound unique, but wouldn't it be nice to have something that looks just as cool? Besides, you can't fit the ashtrays on with a Badass bridge -- trust me, I've tried :( ;).

By the way, Funk Docta, the Duncan SPB-2 is a damn nice pickup. Warm, punch, and killer duncanized mids. The QP is also a veeeeeery popular aftermarket product, but often, people spend just as much time taking them out as putting them in, 'cause sometimes you just can't get them far enough away from the strings. They've got a similar tone to the SPB-2 Hot for P, but it's so hot that you need to put it right down into the body. SPB-1 does a great cop of the vintage tone. Considering the tone of the Antiquity I, the name is a bit of a misnomer apparently (a little too modern with the characteristic duncan mids), and the Antiquity II rocks the vintage tone. If you're looking for vintage tone and can't get a vintage instrument, I've heard that these do a damn good job of copping that tone. Out of the passive Basslines, I've only personally used the SPB-2 in my own bass, all my other info is collected from a billion different reviews (especially on the QP, check out www.bgra.net for tonnes of reviews on it) on various sites in cluding this own. Cruising the pickups forum gets you lots of information :). I don't have any info on the active Basslines, sorry ;).
  8. thanx, i liked that reply. i think i like the spb-2 myself. would a sunburst MIM P bass look good with a tort shell pickguard? does the sunburst look good at all? I'm mostly looking for a bass that has a good paint job that dosnt look too bad when it gets scratched, cuz on the MIM jazz basses that are midnight wine, if it gets scratched, it leaves a white line instead of showing wood, and personally, i tihnk fender basses look good when they are beat up. not that i plan on beating up my bass, but if it gets hurt i dont want it to look bad.
  9. Does anyone know the measurements for where the ashtray fits on a Jazz. I have a reissue that I'd like to throw an ashtray on. The holes for the pickup bell are on the pickguard, so that's easy enough, but I don't want to just be close on the ashtray, I'd like to have it as exact as possible.