Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz audition solo

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SnoMan, Mar 21, 2001.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Hey everyone, hope I'm putting this in the right forum...I'm in my all county jazz band this year, I got in basically by default (like last year actually) due to the fact that no other bassists showed up. I played through blues scales, did some sight reading and such, but want I really want for next year is a good solo. I would like to get my hands on a good written piece and I just don't know where to start (I thought about asking my instructers, but thought I'd ask you guys first :cool: ). I've been playing for 3 years now, I can say I'm doing quite well for my time playing, I have backrounds in jazz, funk, and rock mostly, various other styles here and there. I would like to hear what you guys would consider as a few good solos to look into, and how I could get my hands on them. Thanks for any help.

Shawn

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Try the transcription of "Teen Town" over at bassically.net. That should make for a suitably impressive audition. There are also some nice-sounding chordal arrangements of "Autumn Leaves" and "Misty" by Mike Dimin in the "Lessons Online" area.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    (Grunting while pulling on hip-high trout fishing boots...)

Ah, that's better....I've been on the panel for about a hundred of those kind of auditions, and my best advice is this: What Ed said. Every word of it....just choose your own favorite standard tune and show them that you can cover all the bases.

No pun intended. :cool:

4. Tronictq

Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    Hello, you want to learn how to solo? My advice, though not experienced advice, play from your heart. Don't learn solo's done from another person unless you want to "learn". The best sounding solo is when it's from the soul. As with jazz, it's impossible to play jazz without a "feel" for it.

I'm not at all that experienced, but I feel that's the best way to solo. Of course, you think a solo needs a lot of notes, I don't think so...... just make it sound groovy, new and interesting. and your set.

Tronictq

5. sorry, nothing contrsuctive to add, just had to say that "Autumn Leaves" is a really beautiful song.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well.....I thik there are probably many thousands who do play Jazz and it's doubtful or at best impossible to know whether they actually have that feel. I think there are quite a few who definitely don't and are making a good living from reading the dots or giving the public what they want!

As Ed says - it's probably far better to work on the things that are tried,tested and have worked for many people before, rather than to try for "intangible" things which are difficult to define, let alone achieve!! ;)

I mean, we're talking about playing for a board of educators here - not about assuring your place in the Jazz "Hall of Fame" ;)