Jazz Band At School First Show!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Son of Spam, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Tonight my schools jazz band has to play their first show in front of the school...

Ouch..we are kinda fudged up right now..

We play..
    What is Hip
    Feels So Good
    Flight of the Foo Bird

It's fun and all, but I can only play Smooth and What is Hip..and some of Flight of the Foo Bird.
  2. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    What do you do on the songs you cant play?
  3. interesting...

my first jazz band show... well sucked, from begining to end. wanna know the problems with the show? sure i'll tell ya

-No one tells me stage volume on the bass amp is NOT the only way of getting sound out into the theater (durring the sound check we were not hooked up to the board), so i set my volume to how it was for the sound check (makes sense doesnt it), i find out after were done playing that only bass was able to be heard for awhile because of this...

-The lifters break. one of the Sax players decided to get high before the show, and manages to break the risers, denting on of the trumpet players BRAND NEW horn, which by the way was up over 2 g's.

-The main trumpet player, whom is VERY GOOD has his real book stolen, and refuses to play.

-the bass amp breaks in the middle of the show

-Guitar player fails to show up, so there are huge gaps of confusing when the backup player refuses to take solos.

-My cable breaks, not once, but twice, durring differnt songs.

All in all, it was an alright show...:rolleyes:
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The time honored tradition of faking it.
  5. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Thats like the most embarissing thing ever to do, had to do it (playing trumpet) during the Star Spangled Banner at homecoming, I never bothered to memorize the music.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ouch. Man, forget you're socks, you're car keys, ANYTHING but SSB. Man, people will kill you if you mess up on that. People at my old school would get violent if we messed up. Not to mention the fact that during homecoming, all their parents were there. One note off, and it was suicide for the music program for the next six months.
  7. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Yeah. This year its like sealing your death if you dont know it (since all the stuff last week), luckily the trombone part isnt very complicated.
  8. Yep.faking it is pretty fun....I enjoyed myself at least..

We thought we sucked, one of the sax's couldn't play cause her gear wasnt' there, we have 3 drummers, none showed up, teacher had to drum.

We could only play three songs
    What Is Hip?
    Feels So Good
    Oh yea I fudged up good.

But everyone thought we rocked, cause our trumpet is GREAT!!!!
  9. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    How can you fake playing bass?!!! Everyone relies on you.

Anyone listen to Art Farmer's Flumpet?!!
  10. Oh its possible..... you just to have to have a really good band....

And this was during a walking bassline, so it wasn't as important as a defining bassline... the bassline was just kinda added in as an extra it seemed... which is why I never bothered to learn it, I figure I can bs it and make it sound better ;)
  11. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
  12. LoL

Why bother to learn songs where the bass was added more as an afterthought?

I swear, the bassline has no gd relation to the song, so I just play roots... I know its stupid of me, but I can't stand playing crappy songs where the bassline is just dumb.
  13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    Whenever I get handed a chart with a 1-4-5 with the main riff for me being F-A-C-F or Eb, I feel the same way, but then I realize that big band bass is supposed to sound this way. I'll try to improvise a lil here and there where it makes the most sense, but I usually play the charts verbatum, because the arrangements usually work.

Last jazz band class, I thought it would be a good (that is, funny) idea to play an open G over this one part where the whole band plays F and E in a swung, syncopated matter. The other bass player and I were cracking up. It sounded so awful!

We're playing at a school event Tuesday, and I think I ought to do the same there as I did in practice (btw, the marching band is playing at the pep rally this friday. I expect two things: to be booed and for many people to ask me if I play the guitar in marching band on Monday [no! I play the BASS!]).
  14. Hehehe...the bassist for the marching band always gets grass on my farkin bass cause the jazz and marching use same bass... But it is considered mine cause Jazz Band ownz marching...so I threatened him telling him if he wrecked the bass, I would start taking that bass home with me, which I have every right too, and he would be screwed cause he don't have one.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's weird. In our high school band, ol' Son of Spam would have lasted about a day, if that long. If you couldn't play the music, you weren't in the band. If you were in the band, you were going to be in the best band in the state ... which we were, two years in a row. No, not Wyoming, California.

Of course, that was 35 years ago.
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Kids today huh!.....(sigh) :rolleyes:

Actually I would have loved to have played bass in a Jazz band at school - all we had was choir and Gilbert & Sullivan operas. :(
  17. Oh our jazz band is good, im just really good at bsin...LoL

It does sound good, and I have learned the music since, just got lazy for a week.

But yea, were really good.. I believe top 10 in State (California)
  18. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    yeah, i remember our first *real* gig (by real, i mean BIG) ... i was bassing on it and there was a guitarist, a drummer and about a zillion horn players. luckily i had downed an entire bottle of red wine to myself before i went on and completely shredded the crap out of my Spector, overplaying to the max and impressing all the dumbass non-musicians in the audience :p ANYWAY, the highlight was a 25-minute version of The Average White Band's "Pick Up the Pieces" ... needless to say, my bass solo rocked the house (i'd never heard people clapping in time with a solo before), but that's probably only because i was f*cking sh*tfaced.
    but that's really the only way to do anything, really.

christ. what was the original thread about again?
  19. Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US

Ahhhhhh, good times, good times.........man if only people could hear how good it sounds to us as we're drunk!!!!!!:D
  20. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    amen, bro :D hahaha who needs real applause when you think you have it anyway?