Jazz Band Competition

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by grahambo420, Apr 6, 2003.

1. hey, my school's jazz band is taking a trip down to philly for a "competition" next weekend, "competition meaning we're being graded and worked with by the judges i was wondering if anybody knew anything about how particular the judges are, or if anybody has any advice, thanks
  2. Just do what you do normally. lay down a solid groove and flow with it. Last year my H.S. jazz band went down to Willimsburg VA for the Fiestaval competitions and we just played like we normaly do which is very relaxed and I was able to take home a trophy for best rhythm section along with the rest of my rhythm section of course. It was really cool because that is the first award I won for playing bass. just be cool and you'll do fine.
  3. thanks, for the advice, i'll be sure to let u know how the whole thing goes
  4. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    IME the judges can be very particular,their two biggest beefs,players don't play within themselves and the ensemble does'nt listen to each other,especially during solo's,really try to listen to the soloist and react with the language you've learned.Good Luck,You'll have a ball!!