1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz band in Bands of America Audition

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ding_man, Jun 7, 2007.

1. ding_man

ding_man

Dec 24, 2006
    Celina, OH
    I'm going to the Bands of America this summer and playing in the jazz band program. You have to audition for placement. Here are the requirements for rhythm section:
    A demonstration of the following
    1.Major scales 5 Sharps 5 Flats (no problem)
    2.Medium tempo swing
    3.Medium tempo rock
    4.Bossa Nova/Samba (Latin)
    5.Ballad
    6.Sight reading

I'm assuming they want me to prepare some charts to bring in which I could do now with some of those.. but I'm not sure how to play in a jazz ballad style and I'm not sure what they want with rock. Do they want some Herbie Hancock style rock jazz... or do they want me coming in and playing 867-5309 or something (probably not but you get what I mean)

Can anyone give me some help with some ideas on what I should listen to and maybe learn to help me with these styles of jazz.

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    They are probably asking for standards and it would be a good idea to know the tune (head) and the chords.

For the Bossa/Samba get something by Jobim, "Girl From Impanema" or "One Note Samba" or "Wave"... something like that. Or "Blue Bossa", would be good. For Ballad, I'd suggest something by Ellington, "I Got It Bad and That Ain't Good". Or "Goodbye Porkpie Hat" by Mingus. "I Remember Clifford" is a good one too by Benny Golson. There are literally hundreds of good choices. Get a "Real Book" and you'll never have to worry about this sort of thing again.

3. ding_man

ding_man

Dec 24, 2006
    Celina, OH
    I know that they want standards. I'm asking about some examples and ideas for ballads and 'medium tempo rock'. Thanks for those suggestions though.

4. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    'Round Midnight is a classic Jazz ballad and playing the head sound good on bass. When Jazz player talk about Rock it can mean almost anything. Some old player if it don't swing it must be Rock. I would contact whoever the organizaon is and ask what they want, I sure you won't be ther first or the last to ask for more info. They might even have an FAQ or list of tune suggestions.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021