Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Band

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Hendrix_sound, Jan 17, 2001.

1. Hendrix_sound

Hendrix_sound

Jan 17, 2001
    Hey everyone...
    I'm a new member and in need of help. I recently joined my high school's jazz band and when i got my first piece of music, i had no clue whatsoever. The reason for this is beacause my guitar teacher teaches me in tab... so i don't really know how to read notes that well. If anyone knows of a site or somwhere where I can get the bass tab or help to the song "Satin Doll" by Duke Ellington, please feel free. I appreciate all help. Thank you, and have fun rockin' it out..

-=HENDRIX_SOUND=-

2. Welcome. My first bit of advice is- please, please learn to read bass clef. It will only make you a better player. The band director should be able to help you out.
    It may give you fits, but it will be worth it in the long run.
    And play on.

3. Good for you joining the jazz band, there are probably a few around here that got their start or at least a jump start in school jazz bands. Learn to read music it will be a valuable skill in years to come, and not to dis you or your teacher (ok maybe your teacher a bit) but maybe you should consider finding one with a bit more going on who can teach you how to read and a bit of theory so you will be better able to understand what you are doing.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hmmm....well I will restrain my inclination to be sarcastic as I'm sure that Ed can do this far better than me! ;)

What I will say is that this is missing the point. The idea of playing bass in Jazz bands is that most of the time, as the bass player, you will be expected to improvise a bass line over the chord sequence or "changes". So I doubt very much if there is any "tab" to Satin Doll and even if there is, it's not what you should play.

The best thing to do is to look at the chord symbols on the chart, work out (write the notes down) what notes are included in those chords - play the arpeggios - all the notes one after the other. To start with, play the roots of each chord, in time and then add other notes from these arpeggios. You really need either a good teacher or to start looking at books like Ed Friedland's "Jazz Bass".

Are we talking about a bass teacher here or a guitar teacher?

Oh and it's only going to get harder after Satin Doll, so you better get onto it straight away!

5. hehe, in our jazz band we call it satan doll cause we suck at it :)

peace

6. In our jazz band...
    Oh. No, wait, we don't HAVE a jazz band in my school. :D
    My school's music department is SERIOUSLY lacking the facilities to have anything more than an extremely amateur school 'orchestra'. Oh well. :p

7. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    i hear ya man....
    i just got promoted up to the higher jazz band (lol)
    well now i have a buncha music to learn!!! and the thing is i CAN read music...but all my life i've been trained in treble!!! so it's a little hard reading that music when i think a C is an A and whatnot

oh well good luck in learning and i need to practice myself!

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    My two cents: Change teacher, effective immediately.

9. heh retsampals is slapmaster backward...funny stuff

10. Newman

Newman

Jun 6, 2000
    http://www.libster.com has some great ways to learn bass clef. Yeah you should probably look into other teachers or at least see if your current teacher can teach you to read music. If he can't then there's probably alot of other stuff he doesnt know how to do. I recently joined the jazz band in our school because the old bass player left and i could just barely read music but finally after 4 months im starting to be able to look at music and play it. If you are really desperate to find a tab just go to the website and find out which notes are which and tab it out yourself. You do know the fingerboard right?

11. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    A quick and dirty fix for reading the bass clef compared to treble is that the sme line or space will be named a third (3 letters) higher than it would on treble clef.E.G. top line of treble is F,top line of bass is A.This obviously has nothing to do with the actual pitches of the notes,just their letter names.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think a lot of the replies are missing the point here in getting hung up about reading bass clef. If you can construct walking bass lines from chord symbols then in this case "reading" is irrelevant. Now of course it's going to be a skill that you need to master - but there is no written bass part to "Satin Doll" that you need to read. It's a case of looking at the chords and constructing your own walking line based on the apreggios and trying to make a flowing line by adding passing notes etc.

So if you take Satin Doll - it's a 32 bar tune with AABA (more or less) format so it's in 8 bar "chunks" which repeat 3 time with a different bridge up 3rd. So basically if you can construct something for the first 8 bars, you've got 3/4 of the tune cracked! Now I'm not going to go through the whole thing, but the version I remember starts with a D minor chord followed by G7 - look over the top of the music and you will see these chord symbols - now the idea is to make a line based on these chords. So you have 4 notes to play in a bar and the strong notes are 1 and 3 - best place to start is place chord tome like the root and fifth on thes beats and then something in between on the others - you can aim for a note that then takes you smoothly into the next chord. This is a lifetime's work, but I would suggest it's going to be more useful to start on this and ask your teacher about this, rather than struggling with reading bass clef, when there might not even be a written part! If you play something in the right rhythm and with roughly the right notes this is infinitley better than nothing at all. :)

13. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    nickis
    yep but i'm no slapmaster!!
    maybe something to live up to in a few decades!

14. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Super post bruce. You answered some questions that I didn't know how to ask. Thanks much.

Pkr2

15. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I don't even think that our high school bass player had the music to that song: he improvised all of it as I remember(and he had it really grooving - dang he was a good bassist)! Bruce is right on the mark here, as usual.

16. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Sorry to bring up an old, done-with, thread, but I have a question regarding "Satin Doll" and walking bass itself...

The first measure of the tune is Dm7 G7 and the second measure is the same. The line I wrote for the first measure is a simple DFGF. Now after writing the whole line for the piece I realize that the last note of that measure is not a good approach tone because the next measure would go back to D. Is this wrong? It is the same with a few other measures in the song. My teacher said the rules to modern jazz aren't as strict. But he said to write this trying to use approach tones a whole or half-step away.

Also the CMa7 chord in the second A section: it goes on for two measures. I wrote it like this: CEGF ECBA. It sounds ok. My teacher said as well that when you have a chord that goes on for two measures like that that the last note of the first measure and the first note of the second measure can be anything?

One last thing: The third and 4th measures of the A section, Em7 A7 Em7 A7...I used the note D as an approach tone going into the second measure. I feel this may be wrong because D is not a chord tone (of A7) and I used A as the note before it. Is it not a good idea to jump around like that?

Just trying to clear up some things regarding rules to walking bass. I've read so many articles and all the threads here and for some reason some things just aren't sinking in. :confused:

Thanks,
    Stephanie

17. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    I wish I had it on cd, so I could help you.

18. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

19. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Wow. Thanks Pacman. That helped a lot.:) I think I just have one more question:

I might be looking at the wrong part, but I was looking at the CMaj7 at the end of the second A section. On my chart the next measure (which begins the B section) is Gm7 C7, to which I used G as the first note of the measure.

Well, thank you very much again for helping me with this. I am getting a little obssessed with walking bass, I think, and feel the need to know everything. :D

Be well,
    Stephanie

20. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Oops...silly me...I do have another question:

I'm afraid I'm a little confused by what you mean by this. A "two feel"? I'd play D for 2 beats then G for 2 beats, then the same for the next measure? :confused: How 'bout when those chords repeat in the 2nd and 3rd A sections? (I used the same notes, by the way)?