1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz Band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dave_clark69, Nov 18, 2003.

  1. dave_clark69

    dave_clark69 Guest

    Jan 17, 2003
    Hello. I got a note from my music teacher telling me to go to his office. I thought it was becuase my corvette had arived, but it was because he wants me to join the jazz band (i was recomended by my bass teacher, cos i am his best student lol). I would quite like to be in a band like that, its just i dont really have a clue about what music they would play.
    Is anyone here in a jazz band, like an under 17 one. or can anyone tell me what kind of stuff i would have to play?
  2. I'm in my school's jazz band. The type of music you play really depends what type of school that you go to. If the band has a good wind or brass section, you will play different types of music. My school started off playing standards from Abersold books, like Caravan, So What, or Summertime and then we gradually moved to Ellington, Mingus, and now we're doing some arrangements of Blues and the Abstract Truth and Footprints that can be pretty intense at times. I'm kind of nazied into playing the upright bass during my jazz class, but I can deal with it. It's really fun if you can connect with the other rhythm members, but I'd see if you can feel out the band first and see if you'd like it. It can seem like more of an obligation at times than fun, but you can learn some decent stuff.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

    Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

    Hmmmm :meh:....I don't know, maybe I could have a guess....what do you think..... they might play - Jazz!!! ;)
  4. dave_clark69

    dave_clark69 Guest

    Jan 17, 2003
    Lol yes i think i had gathered that, but i mean like just playing chords or like doing little walking bass lines and what have you
  5. NV43345


    Apr 1, 2003
    Definetly do it. To be asked is a honor. You will
    gain alot of experience or as Victor Wooten calls it "Vocabulary". Do your best. Even if it is not
    the "style" of music you like,play it anyway.
    Years from now you will be glad you did.:)
  6. Bruce Lindfield

    Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

    I would say - little chance of being asked to play chords on bass!

    Big chance there will be lots of walking bass lines!! :)
  7. It'll be walking bass lines. i played in my high school's jazz band for 2 or 3 years, and about 60% of the time, i was given sheet music with notes written out as well as the chord changes if i wanted to improvise the walking lines. the other 40% of the time, I was only given chord changes.

    I only had one "solo" which was written out, and was in unison with a bari sax, so it wasn't really a solo....but it was and still is one of my favorite jazz songs: toothless grin by woody herman and the thundering herd.

    that's assuming this is a big band. if it's a small combo (only 3-5 people) then you're more likely to get just chord changes.