1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

jazz bands

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by funkybassinator, Aug 28, 2007.

1. im getting kinda bored sitting in the basement, just playing grooves. im hoping to join a school jazz band, and id like to here your experience, as well a what kind of theory jazz involves. im hoping this will solve my problem, as my favorite thing to do is play with other instruments. o, and any advice in how to make playing by myself more interesting?

thanks a bunch :) :bassist:

2. dulouz

dulouz

Dec 7, 2006
    First of all, you will need to read fairly well. Jazz charts can have some intricate part writing, even on bass. You will be playing in several different styles such as: swing, latin, funk, and even rock.

Second, depending on the level of the arrangement, you will mostly likely encounter chord changes to which you will need to improvise your own bass line. To do this you will need an extensive knowledge of chords and scales.

You might try and find a play-along book that teaches you about these things. Jamey Aebersold has created a whole empire of Jazz educational resources. Look him up on the internet and you should find something to suit your needs.

3. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    While it's good to know how to read, most schools will teach as much of that to you as you want to learn. Just jump right in to it.

4. thanks guys
    i can kinda read, used to be able to do it better tho.
    oh well, i should have fun anyways
    thanks again

5. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Work on Walking Bass lines. What you will need to know and have to learn to play good Walking Bass will help your playing in all styles and even when you get into soloing.