1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

jazz bands

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by topof, Mar 11, 2008.

1. topof

topof

Mar 11, 2008
    basically i just started a jazz band
    but i have no experience in jazz
    :help:
    all ive usually played is rock and just mixtures of stuff

i was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me advice about what i should study

any bassists i can learn from?
    theory thats esstential?
    etc.

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Depends on the kind of jazz you guys are playing...

I've never studied jazz, but listen to a lot and jam on it occasionally, BUT, I would say, listen to anything from Herbie Hancock. He's got everything from straight jazz standards to funky sh*t. My favorite is the Thrust album. Suuuuper funky basslines!

If you're looking for more fusion stuff, check out Weather Report or Jean Luc Ponty. Just a selection from some of my faves. Hope this helps!

3. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston

I just started a Klezmer band, but I have no experience with Klezmer music, so I'm in a similar situation.

:rolleyes:

4. topof

topof

Mar 11, 2008
    thanks a lot

it helped a lot

5. Paging Ed....Ed please report to the BM&P forum....:bag:

6. basically i just opened a french restaurant
    but i have no experience in french cuisine
    :help:
    all ive usually cooked is grilled cheese and just mixtures of stuff

i was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me advice about what i should study

any chefs i can learn from?
    theory thats esstential?
    etc.

Now doesn't that sound silly?:eyebrow: Back up your cart and start training your horse.

7. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    Umm, listen to a bunch of jazz really, really hard?

8. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston

I totally beat you to it with my Klezmer band thing....
    :)

9. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Hey... Ya gotta start somewhere.

First, head on over to the DB side, and read the "Jazz Technique" forum. Search the "Music" and "Recordings" forums as well.

Next, start listening. Maybe find a jazz player in your area and get some guidance.

Now this is very important... if you're all new to playing jazz, first thing you need to do is take the bass drum peddle away from the drummer.

Good luck and have fun.

10. "Jazz" is such a huge broad term covering a large variety of musical styles, some of which bear just about no relation to one another. It's a much wider family of music than even "rock." What sort of jazz are you hoping to do?

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Man, it would be like shooting fish in a thing that it was easy to shoot fish in....

12. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    OP is sure getting a lot of grief!

follow the link in my sig for a boatload of jazz info:history, theory, suggested listening.

Buy Miles Davis' Kind of Blue Album
    Transcribe Ray Brown
    Get a Fake book/Realbook

sorry to be brief

13. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    I hope OP has thick skin!! Man we can be brutal out here.

But I give a TB'er enthusiastic second to 2 of Mambo4 suggestions.... definitely get a Fake Book and download or purchase Miles Davis Kind of Blue. That album changed everything for me and it is one of the most definitive jazz albums ever!

14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Sure, we all been there. But I would humbly suggest that rather than get a fake book and jump in playing jazz with a bunch of other guys who have gotten a fake book and jumped right, why not try to hunt down some local cats that have done this kind of thing before? Or even DON'T put a band together. Go and listen to a lot of the music, played by cats who know what they are doing. Go to jam sessions and get your feet wet. Find some crusty old mother****er who plays piano and knows every tune in every key and let them yell at you and glare at you and take you out back between sets to yell at you about your time, your inability to walk a cohesive line that links changes, that makes you take ratty old cassette tapes of records you can't get anymore home and pull not only all the bass lines off of but the tenor solo as well. That yells at you when you don't hear the substitutions that he uses and yells at you when you put substitutions in that NOBODY ELSE is playing.

Look do what you want. But there's a lot more going on here than "getting a fake book and a copy of KIND OF BLUE". There's plenty of guys like that out in the world, you don't want to be one of them.

15. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    Man..... Ed just took me to the woodshed! Forget what I said.... listen to Ed!

16. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Or not, I remain remarkably unaffected (uninfected?).
    It's just kind of a pet peeve; I mean, I put a lot of work to get to where I am today, to get to where I can hear my way through tunes if the piano player knows it well enough or if I can hear the melody clearly enough. To have enough under my belt to get through 4 hour duo gigs without reading any tunes, to where I can play enough melodies that me and another bass player can do a three hour gig as a bass duo (alternating playing the melody on tunes). To be able to play some pretty nice venues with some pretty great players and hang (maybe not as hard as some) on the NY jazz scene for over 20 years now.

And I'm just a hack. There's SO many bassists up here that are much more on top of things than I am - Ray Parker, Nate Peck, Paul Beaudry, Jon Hebert, Mike McGuirk- and so many world class players up here -Peter Washington, Scott Colley, Neal Miner, Marco P., keerist I don't have enough room to list everybody.

So if I'm NOT the benchmark, the top of the bar; from my point of view if you're really serious about this (and this music is, as the title of the book says , As Serious As Your Life) then you gotta be willing to hit at my level. Because if you're NOT, then you are not serving the music well. And if you aren't going to serve the music well, why are doing it? Pretty much because of non-musical reasons. Because there are gigs or it will make you a "better" musician or people will think you're hipper or whatever. There's a buncha cats down in East Bum**** GA where I'm from that kinda do the same thing; pretty much the ONLY experience they have playing jazz is playing with each other. Couple of the cats are serious about trying to get deeper, but most aren't. They're content to do their gigs and because they work at putting asses in seats MUCH harder than they work at playing, they have a following and keep gigs. But it's the Emperor's New Clothes, they aren't playing anything real, it's all gibberish. The sax player can't get through a blues convincingly, they play **** they worked out and nobody gets hurt. But there's plenty of folks out there who actually think what they are hearing is an actual jazz experience. And, if they think they are "hip" they pretend to dig it (although a quick peek at their record collections pretty much puts that idea to bed)most people are just "gee if that's jazz I really don't like it".

Not that I'm a Randian, but there's a great quote from THE FOUNTAINHEAD (or ATLAS SHRUGGED?) - one of the antagonists is responding to a protege, who latest play he has praised. The protege asks, did you really think it was as great as Ibsen and he replies (in paraphrase) If what I want to do is bring Ibsen and his like low, I can't condemn them, but what I can do is raise talentless drivel to their height, so that they are diminished by the comparison.
    To me that's what's happening here. It's NOT about the music and getting deeper into it, it's ONLY about the chance to get on the stand, get some house and a few quick bucks.
    And the chance to say "Oh yeah, I play jazz...."

17. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    No one else thinks the op is just messing with us? Poking the hornet's nest and all that? I do. The two posts above are his only two, and the join date is this month!

Anyway, Ed Fuqua, thanks for the great posts!
    Awesome take on it...

"Sure, we all been there. But I would humbly suggest that rather than get a fake book and jump in playing jazz with a bunch of other guys who have gotten a fake book and jumped right, why not try to hunt down some local cats that have done this kind of thing before? Or even DON'T put a band together. Go and listen to a lot of the music, played by cats who know what they are doing. Go to jam sessions and get your feet wet. Find some crusty old mother****er who plays piano and knows every tune in every key and let them yell at you and glare at you and take you out back between sets to yell at you about your time, your inability to walk a cohesive line that links changes, that makes you take ratty old cassette tapes of records you can't get anymore home and pull not only all the bass lines off of but the tenor solo as well. That yells at you when you don't hear the substitutions that he uses and yells at you when you put substitutions in that NOBODY ELSE is playing.

Look do what you want. But there's a lot more going on here than "getting a fake book and a copy of KIND OF BLUE". There's plenty of guys like that out in the world, you don't want to be one of them."

18. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Wow. Was that kind of response really necessary?

I think terms like "aren't playing anything real" and "they play **** they worked out and nobody gets hurt" are the height of arrogance. Were you born with "real" jazz knowledge and abilities? You say you put a lot of work into getting where you are. The obvious point is that you had to start somewhere, much like the OP.

In your book, do you make fun of the people that bought it and are trying to learn from it?

Also, I am an Randian and I have to congratulate you on twisting that quote around just to ridicule someone asking an innocent (though uninformed) question.

19. Sally, hide the kids...:bag: