1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz bas with tube preamp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rsint, Nov 15, 2006.

1. rsint

rsint

Mar 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
  2. I knew when I saw the title, that you would show this bass.
    I still want to call this guy to make an apointment to check al his crazy and cool basses:)

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, I too, knew it was this one. It's a cool bass.

4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Inactive

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I have always thought that things that get hot and wood dont get along very well, it is cool but tubes are fragile and get hot :meh: ...

5. yeah and I don't think they like to be shaken in a bass.;)

6. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I'd imagine quite a few people would ask what that grill was for, then when you powered on they'd see that tubey glow.

7. Crazykiwi

Crazykiwi

Sep 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    FWIW Sandberg make a bass with a similar tube based onboard preamp called the Tube Machine. Apparently its a signature bass for Reggie Worthy (whoever he is).

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Inactive

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I believe that it is their least selling bass model... Sandberg is a cool brand though i love that they actually take the custom thing to the mass produced market, i want to start a shop/brand myself based on this filosophy. Oh damn if only i could get those wal electronics pattents... dreaming is so easy...

9. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Gimmicks. . . :rollno:

Cool bass, though, but gee, I wonder if it won't be more convenient to put the tube in a separate box, outside the bass?

Well, on the other hand, I would never want to leave home without a tube for my bass, so... good idea.

10. Crazykiwi

Crazykiwi

Sep 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Contact Alan at AC Guitars, he's commissioned a preamp from John East which is based on the Wal sweep filters but with a few added features.

http://www.acguitars.co.uk/newsarticle.php?ID=43

Contact him at preamp@acguitars.co.uk.

11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    No patents on the Wal electronics to my knowledge, especially as it's based around a generic circuit called a state variable filter.

12. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Inactive

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

Correct me if im wrong but Tubes aint plug-and-play so... the more i think about it the more i realize it is not a good idea...

Oh and CRAZYKIWI thx a lot ill be having some chats with my possible buissness partners and i might need that info ;) .

13. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Inactive

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Not even the pickups??? yikes i was told some big brand tried to buy the patents little time ago when the rumour of wal going out of buissness was on everyones mouth.

14. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I don't know much about the pickups, except that they're individual coils/magnetic structure per string. Hard to see how that's unique and avoids prior art. The electronics themselves wouldn't be to hard to duplicate in principle.

There would be a copyright on the specific Wal circuits, not patents. But if anyone in Aus has one and they'd let me trace the circuit, I'd be happy to do it.

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I've seen that bass before and it's a neat idea. However, in practice, I see a few problems. Stuff like what happens if the bass takes a little bump? A normal bass would be unharmed but I'd worry with those tubes inside.