1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale Jazz Bass 80's RI Neck

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by rustlander1, Oct 27, 2018.

1. rustlander1

rustlander1 Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Price:
    Strings:
    Great Jazz Bass. Plays and sounds great (looks pretty sweet too!). Thin fast neck - 1 7/16" nut width. Lacquer on neck is worn, naturally in the right spots - feels very good. Frets are good. I played it a lot but have my eye on a JMJ Mustang (anybody? anybody?). Neck is early 80's Fullerton era Fender reissue. It looks great too, the Birdseye and flame is way cool, and nice checking around the head stock. Truss rod is working fine, easy movement. Frets have some play wear but no noticeable divots. I had a fret level done a couple years ago. Body may or may not be original, I just can't tell. It was refinished long ago in an emerald green color (think Adam Clayton bass). There are signs of refinishing – it’s an average refin, not the worst, not the best. When I first got it someone had put active pickups in and carved out a space beneath the pickguard for a 9volt. There were lots of changes made to the bass. Shaller tuners, Shaller Roller Bridge. The only changes I've made since owning it are: vintage style mint pickguard, rewired with good pots and wire, totally shielded inside and Lindy Fralin Split coil pickups. Body has a couple small dings and a few spots where you can tell it was refined but overall looks like a cool vintage bass. It's a great and reliable gigging machine.

The Neck:

The only visible neck stamp "J. Serna." There's no date mark but from the information that I've gathered - looking through all the reissue pics I could find, talkbass, google searches, etc., plus owning/playing a lot of reissues from all different years, it's gotta be early 80's (83-84).
    - 80's/early 90's Reissues used the wrong/different type set for "Jazz Bass" and "Electric Bass" on the logo
    Early Reissues had different numbers in the pat. numbers section to tell them apart from original vintage ones.
    In all the pics I could find of 80’s/90’s reissues - 1986 and after the "offset contour body" decal on reissues was moved away from the logo to the "ball" of the head stock - this one is close to the logo which indicates pre-86.

I’m not an expert on Fullerton RI’s so please chime in if you have any relevant information.

$925 shipped.

Attached Files:

waynobass likes this.
  2. rustlander1

Sep 8, 2013
    Open to offers Bump

3. rustlander1

Sep 8, 2013
    Sold!