Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz bass and piano duo jam

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Jan 22, 2006.

1. OK I'm probably jumping the gun here by sticking this up - it's a rough and ready jam between me and my very good friend, and brilliant pianist, Tom Pilling. We are starting a band and we're both writing stuff - I wrote a piece last week that when we tried it was very much like E.S.T. which I'm reall excited about.

So this is a bit rough and ready, the bass is a bit too loud and the quality isn't amazing - but there are some nice bits of interaction as well - I've no idea what you'll make of it - feedback welcome - this is very much a jam...

Duo jam
    http://www.munkio.com/music/Victor/Pbj Mix.mp3

Cheers

Mike

2. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Cool

3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Bass is too loud? I don't know if I'm hearing the same clip, but as good as I think this is, I can hardly hear the bass.

It's partly your tone... not cutting through the piano, and partly it is just mixed very low.

I think it's a good clip.

4. Can't make out the bass at all.:meh: :meh:

5. I just switched the link to a louder mix of the track - thanks for listening

Mike

6. roee_co

roee_co

May 20, 2005
    NY, Long Island
    beautiful just beautiful

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I dig it! My only comment would be to give each other more space... meaning while the piano is soloing, give a good solid bass groove without adding a lot of inflections because it'll tend to clash and you want listeners to be able to focus on one thing at a time. And viceversa while you're soloing, the piano should just comp very lightly behind you. I dig it though. This type of stuff is right up my alley!

8. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I had a similar response to someone else - I didn't think the bass was cutting through enough. I'll go listen to the other mix now.

But, you can clearly hear the potential of you two. You're both very talented, and I could see some serious Stuff coming out of you two.

Man, I'd soil my shorts repeatedly if I could find a piano player like that to work with.

:p

9. Cheers DW - this was just our warm up, we just plugged in and played, so we're letting rip with a dozen ideas at once - it isn't really how we play a song or a composition more just pure blowing - I completely agree with your comments. Like I say we played a piece I wrote last week and it sounds great - I surprised myself with how solid my writing is becoming and Tom is such an exceptional musician I think we could have a serious band on our hands with some more rehearsals and writing sessions - this is a blow out by comparison. Thanks for checking it out. Mike

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Mike, I'd like to say how excited I am to hear this. Make sure you and the piano player get some recordings of specific tunes -- I'd love to hear a nice, slow ballad or a run through Billie's Bounce :D.

I'll be honest. To my ears, 99% of the equation Electric Bass + Jazz ends up as a stylistic nightmare. Can't stand it. At this point in my development, I can't do it either. However, I'm loving the potential of this. The slap parts lose the feel and groove of the song, but I'm really liking the rest of it. Also, in the vein of BG + Jazz, the only other bassists I've heard that I thought did it well are Jeff Berlin (also, dig the Jeff Berlin Trio + Miroslav Vitous video over on TBDB right now), Carles Benavent, and my teacher Zak Colbert. To be honest, I haven't heard Steve Swallow. My main beef with electric players in jazz is their concept. They try and fit into the role of an upright player, but without double bass sensibilities, and end up completely ignoring the technical potential of the electric bass. The DB and the BG are such different instruments, especially in jazz, that when the BG tries to fit into the DB role, it sounds like catbutt. However, your concept of playing, music, and electric bass in jazz is what separates you from the multitudes of half-cocked players out there. There's so much here that's waiting to be developed, Mike. Awesome.

11. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    Let me first say that I really dig your sound and choice of notes, Mike!
    The foundation for a working duo is definitely there (I realize it's only a jam situation). As has been mentioned earlier, I agree that you could leave some more space for the pianist, but that will come when you get used to each other. I also think that some of your rhythmic outbursts clash with the direction of the groove. But with a few weeks of good practising and listening you guys will be on top of that, no worries!
    Hey, this is just a personal thing...but I just can't handle the sound of popping and aggressive fretnoise in this sort of musical situation...you would make me a lot happier if you went with your fretless! ;)

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I thought about that too, and while I know Mike's intonation and upper-register technique are pretty spotless with his fretless, some of that chording and upper register playing might be lost if he were to switch to the other instrument. I do agree about the fretnoise, though -- sometimes that was a bit intrusive on the music. Hmm. Maybe play with slightly higher tension strings? They might be a little harder to do the MG stuff with, but it'll go a long way to getting rid of that fretbuzz.

13. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Much better :D I listened the whole way through this time. I can't come up with any complaints. For just blowing through changes to warm up, there is nothing wrong here.

14. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    :eyebrow: Oy, I honestly wasn't aping you back there, Aaron! Must have been writing at the same time...

(yeah, right he goes:D )

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    :D

16. Thanks for such considered responses - believe me we worked on a cool song after this and it's really sounding good - and as soon I don't have to explain chord voicings to the songs to Tom I'm going to be using the fretless a lot - he live across town from me so I can only carry one bass!

I really appreciate the feedback guys - very helpful - and pretty much echoing my thoughts on what we're trying to achieve - the end result will be A LOT tighter....

M

17. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    As others hae already pointed out, the first and probably only thing I could fault this track for is the bass just being too busy. Root notes aren't always the devil. ;)

But, anyway, it's a very cool tune, and I'm sure it'll 10x better with a little more breathing room.

18. Thanks anyway RandomBass.

Cheers

M

19. Yeah I switched a while back - and I know I wasn't here much over the last year but I'm enjoying being back - sorry for any confusion ;) - take it easy bro.

M