1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz bass balancing act.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by techbass76, Jan 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. techbass76

techbass76 Guest

Nov 15, 2011
    As is pretty common, a Jazz bass can get thin sounding when soloing the bridge pickup. The obvious reason being it's proximity to the bridge and the fact that it is usually a small single coil.

The question is:
    What Jazz bass pickup sets have you tried and found to balance to where you get a fatter sounding bridge pickup than what is common and a neck pickup that isn't too overpowering?

I have tried:
    Aguilar 4J-HC
    Dimarzio Area J
    ALL bartolini (except new B-axis)
    many fender single coils
    All EMGs
    A couple Nordstrands......

I found a set I am pleased with and it surprised me because it not on the typical list of "Awesome pickups".

2. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Remember that old joke?

Guy walks in to the doctor's office. "Doc, it hurts when I move my right arm. What should I do" Doctor says "What should you do? Stop moving that arm..."

:D

Anyways...the bridge always sounds too thin solo'd, so I always dial a touch of neck in at the least. Problem solved.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DiMarzio UltraJazz (series)
    Lace Sensor Man O' War
    Delano JC/HE

Are my go-to 'anti Jazz' pickups, with the Man O War's getting the edge overall. Funny story I had a Spector USA NS-H2 with Jazz pickups which was one of the best playing and feeling 4 strings I've ever had, but I couldn't find a tone I liked because of the thinness of the J pickups. I tried them all and finally put it up for sale, and in between the time of selling it and shipping it I took a set of Man O Wars on trade for the heck of it and tried them in that Spector and fell in love with that bass but I had already sold it. I'm kicking myself to this day as that bass was perfect with those Man O Wars in it :)

4. My Fender Super 55 set has a pretty thick sounding bridge pickup.