1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz bass bridge pickup barely audible

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TNCreature, Jul 19, 2012.

1. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I bought a "new" passive Jazz bass body from a TB member (he bought it new for the neck and sold the body).
    The neck pickup plays at full volume but the bridge pickup only makes the slightest amount or sound.
    A local tech could not find anything physically wrong with it. No solder breaks, etc.
    Any ideas? There is no warranty since I am not the original owner, and I am wondering if it is just easier to replace the pickups.
    Thanks for your insights.
    Mark

2. have you run a VOM/DVM on it to see if there's any resistance? Should be in the 7 to 8 Kohm range mas o menos :meh:

3. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Well, I havent done anything because I am half a Moron.
    I dont even know what those terms mean.
    I would like to know in lay persons terms what might be happening and what I could do or suggest to a guitar tech. I guess what is most probable in this case.
    Thanks again!

4. I'd say just take it to a tech you trust, first thing they'd do is check the pickup as I mentioned as well as its volume pot.

An exam wouldn't cost much and once armed w/a diagnosis you can take it from there because replacing a pot is much cheaper than replacing a pickup :D

Edit: I re-read that you took it to a tech and they couldn't find anything "physically" wrong, I interpret that to mean they didn't do a simple resistance/continuity test. Take it to someone who'll do that, it's not a big deal ;)

5. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Thanks!

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You probably have an open coil on the pickup. This could be at the eyelets where the magnet wire is soldered to. Reheating the solder there sometimes helps.

Otherwise you can have the pickup rewound or replaced. Many pickup makers offer rewinding services and it usually cost about $60.