1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Bass Bridge Pickup Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ob3ron, May 2, 2010.

1. ob3ron

ob3ron

Sep 11, 2005
    Singapore
    I recently installed a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquity II on my jazz bass. My bridge pickup is a lot softer than my neck pickup until I turn the tone knob all the way up, which makes it a tad softer than the neck pickup.

Before i changed my pickups, i remember my bridge pickup sounding weak, though not as unbalanced as it is now. Is there a problem with my pickups or electronics(bad pot perhaps) or is it just the nature of jazz pickups?

Thanks

2. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    Check the height of the pickups

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    There's definitely something wrong there if I've understood your description correctly. The bridge pickup should have a noticeably brighter sound, less full and with more highs than the other one. Are you saying that it is acutally the opposite? If so, it sounds like you have a wiring issue or a suspect component. But check the height first as Goober suggests - both pickups should be a similar distance from the strings.

Are you familiar with the sort of difference that you should be hearing? For example, how did it sound before the pickup change? Or, do you have access to another Jazz bass you could try in order for you to hear the sort of difference you should expect?

It sounds like you have some idea of how to solder, so you could try connecting the bridge pickup directly to the jack socket temporarily to see if the problem is the actual pickup or somewhere in the wiring/pots. I'd also check for some other possible issues first, though. Do the pots crackle at all when you turn them? Do the solder joints all look sound, and not "dry"? Are there any obvious connections that look suspect, or possibly a short somewhere (something touching/connected to somewhere it shouldn't be)? Do you have a pic or wiring diagram that you can compare with your bass?

This is a just a process of patient elimination and I think you'll discover where the trouble is without too much difficulty. If they're brand new pickups and one is faulty, then you know what to do, I'm sure. Good luck! :)

4. ob3ron

ob3ron

Sep 11, 2005
    Singapore
    My bridge pick up height is about 0.3cm at the E string, much closer compared to the neck. The bridge pickup does have a brighter sound and more highs, especially when the tone knob is fully open. But when the tone knob is all the way down it is as though it is cutting off most of the frequencies produced? of the bridge pickup, making the perceived output lower... or something like that. Haha

Actually, I think i had the same volume problem before i changed pups which makes me think i have a bad pot. I will try another jazz bass to see if i have the same problem though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Haha, on the contrary, I'm actually quite bad at electronic stuff, so i will prob send it to my tech. Just wanted to ask whether jazz bridge pups are "supposed" to be lower output

Thanks for your replies!

5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    All other things being equal, the output from the bridge pup will normally be a little lower than the neck, because of the smaller amplitube of string vibration nearer the bridge. But your descriptions seem to be different to the normal situation that one would expect. I think you should get it checked out, if only for your own peace of mind.