1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz bass bridge pickup swapped for humbucker idea?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mattbass97, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Never use my bridge pick up on my squier jazz it's a Bartolini pickup and they've served me well I mostly solo my neck pickup even for funky stuff. I was wondering if swapping out the bridge pickup getting it routed out for a humbucker and getting it wired back up would be a practical thing to do? Would I be able to get the same sort of thick in your face sound as most basses with a humbucker have like a stingray etc.. Would it be able to be controlled using the regular tone and bridge volume standard on all jazz basses? Will it be as simple as taking one pickup out and resoldering another one in? What are the complications? Is it worth it? Would I get a badass sound off it?
    please leave comments help solutions etc

Thanks!!

2. There will likely be output impedance mismatch issues.

Note that the Stingray tone has a lot to do with the pickup placement and voicing of the onboard preamp.

3. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Thought that about the stingray but I was just using it as a typical humbucker bass, any bass with a humbucker in general probably better off referring to a jazz bass like the blacktop series with humbuckers

4. i dont know if you´ll get more thickness adding a bridge humbucker + neck jazz . Im sure you´ll get it adding neck humbucker + bridge jazz

5. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    Maybe try a thicker sounding bridge J pickup (consider the impedence factor like line6man said...)

6. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Any recommendations for a thicker sounding pickup? Maybe even a pair of thicker sounding pickups?

7. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Most of the humbucking jazz pickups are going to give you a different, deeper tone. For most people, the trick is finding a humbucker that sounds like a single coil jazz pickup.

DiMarzio Ultra Jazz humbuckers (bridge is DP148) will give you a good scooped tone, for example.

Best of luck,

Bob