Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass Bridge Pu in Neck Position ?'s

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vapochilled, Sep 24, 2005.

1. OK, I could be asking a stupid question. But I'll ask anyway. My Rock Bass has Bridge length pu's @ the neck and bridge. And I would like to upgrade my pu's. Now my question is: If I use for SD basslines pu's and the neck position only comes in neck length. And due to my basses configuration. I used the bridge pu @ the neck then that same pu on the bridge.

Will the bass be over powered by to much treble? Or will position / string tension darken the neck position enough? While also brightening the bridge? Therin effectively giving me bass and treble pu's as before.

I feel a bit in the dark I know bartolini has long sets avalible (bridge in both positions). But I have their thin soapbars in another bass. And I don't want the bartolini sound everywhere. I due like have a vastly different sound for each bass I own. Kinda colors my day. Thank you for the input.

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    There's no difference in "bridge" and "neck" Jazz pickups other than the width and placement. Put a "bridge" pickup in the neck and it's a neck pickup. The only issue you might run into is the pickups in a traditional set are reverse wound in relation to each other, making the middle position hum-cancelling. See if that's an option on SD bridge pickups, since you'll have to order two bridge pickups anyway.

3. Doesn't one need to have the poles of the magnets swapped to achieve hum-bucking when both are on? I always assumed Jazz basses were set up like that.

4. thanks for the input and the quick reponse. I guess this lead to another question. The ones I was looking at were stacked. So they were humbucking on there own. Will that have a bad effect on panning pu's. Also they had 4 leads like a MM pu. And I wanted to wire them w/ a coil tap / split. I could due the stack series, parallel, or single coil (being the top coil on the stack. Would that be more of a problem? Or should I allways run the whole stack? Just series or parallel. Thanks again.

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    If both are humbucking then you don't have to worry about reverse-wound. With stacked humbuckers, you don't want to wire them individually for series/parallel modes (that's only musically useful for side-by-side coils) so always run the whole stack. However, wiring both pickups in series/parallel gives a lot of nice options.

6. Thanks for the reply. Please let me make sure I am clear on this. With the stacked jazz coils I am completely fine no matter how they are wound. And I should always run both coils in the stack individually. Now should that be done in parallel or series on the stack? And on the s/p switch of both pu's. Could you give me sound comparision? I've run s/p on a P-bass in the past. Currently the Rock Bass have hum canceling pu's on a blend / pan pot. And I have another Bass with Bartonini licensed hum cancelling thin soapbars on a blend / pan pot. Would the sound be similar in any aspects to any of those. Other than the wood aspects, ect.