1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz Bass Buzz Hell

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by throwinthetowl, Aug 14, 2012.

1. throwinthetowl

throwinthetowl

May 30, 2012
    Hi Guys

So I have a really irritating buzz on my Mex jazz bass, I installed Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups and they sound great.

I have had the pickups for a while, I haven't really had problems cause we haven't been playing live for a while but we had a show this weekend and the problem was amplified 1000x

I have a problem that I buzz when I don't touch the metal parts or strings. The first thing I did was check the grounding, it is fine.. Im a fairly decently solderer so I had a go at re-soldering the wiring in my control cavity and didn't seem to help. I then went to the next extreme yesterday and bought a whole lot of fairly large gauge wire and three brand new fender pots.

I soldered them all together last night, although I did notice a very clear and great sound coming from the bass the buzz was still there.

I have done some searches around and looked into shielding and also found someone who recommended I should use shielded coaxial cable to wire the part in my bass...

I have also looked into different wiring diagrams as none of them seem to be exactly the same, I tried a few options but no luck..

Im so frustrated. Does anyone have a idea or a solution for my troubles? Im about to throw the bass away cause I can't use it live at this point.

I don't have loads of cash to send it away so I'm trying home remedies to sort this out, Im very capable DIY type of person so I have no issues doing all the work myself.

Thanks

2. The fact that it stops when you're touching your bass or the strings, means that the power to the amp is not properly grounded. It has nothing to do with your bass, but merely with the power supply at the place of the gig.

To test if this is true, plug the guitarists amp in the same plug as you normally play, and he should have the same issues with his guitar.

3. throwinthetowl

throwinthetowl

May 30, 2012
    Thanks for the response, I have noticed it in more than one environment, for instance, at the gig, at the recording studio, when plugged into my mac etc.

Could they all have grounding problem?

4. ricobasso

ricobasso

Jan 18, 2007
    UK, South East
    Jazz bass type pickups are single coil, non-humbucking. They will pick up any electromagnetic radiation in the vicinity except when you blend the two equally, thereby making the twin combination hum-bucking. You can prove this by checking how the buzz varies as you rotate the blend control.

When you touch the strings, you are grounding yourself and YOUR body is then shielding the pickup from the rear while the strings are shielding the pickup from the front. BUT shielding only works for electric interference. Magnetic interference from high current power cables will still be picked up unless you stick to the hum-bucking blend position (or change to humbucking pickups).

5. 999Brent

999Brent Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    How thick was the wire you put in your bass?
    Thick wire will be more prone to interference, it may have actually made the problem slightly worse.

6. foderaman

foderaman Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    It may be thast the ground wire to the Bridge does not have a good connection.It is usually a small wire that is sandwiched between the bottom of the bridge and the top wood of the bass and then goes into the control panel on the bass.

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You know some rooms are just noisy. This is a very common problem, and unfortunately you can't do too much about it, save rewiring the club.

My basses are very quiet except in one place I play, and then every one's instruments hum and buzz.