1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Bass can you guys CSI this for me? Thoughts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PaulonBEADG, Mar 18, 2010.

1. PaulonBEADG

PaulonBEADG Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
  2. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    well what jazz bass are they selling it as... there's tons of fender variations on the jazz bass... looking at it the first thing that came to mind was the fender reissue 75 jazz bass, but it doesn't have the 3 bolt neck adjustment which i believe was the standard for these models. Badass bridge and blocked neck made me think geddy lee but the boddy isn't black, and no white pickguard, so nothing comes to mind... nice birdseye on the fretboard though... btw are those inlays real or painted on?, they look a little off to me...

Theres tons of other guys much more knowledgeable than me on this so wait for them to chime in. I t doesn't match any of the three blocked neck jazzes i had by the way...

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Common complaint with 70s CBS QC. The black blocks should have stopped around 72/73 so as long as all the data codes line up (pots, neck, serial) I wouldn't be concerned.

4. Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Feb 14, 2009
    Montréal, QC
    The bridge isn't stock either. You can still see the holes from where the original was installed. That's a bit of a shame, this body would look gorgeous if not for that.

How much is it being sold for?

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

That neck and fretboard, doesn't look original - that's probably why it doesn't fit! :meh:

6. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    The only holes I see are from the bridge cover. Is that what you are talking about?

A BAII should be a drop in replacement and easy to put back to stock although depending on how long it was there it may have left a mark.

More photos and info is needed to verify this bass (if possible).

Congratulations on a potential purchase thought. :)

7. The screw holes for the finger rest are above the strings so that would make it 1975 or later. A pic of the neck plate - 3 or 4 bolt - with the Serial Number would allow us to nail it exactly.

8. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Thats a pretty big gap at the neck pocket. FWIW, I have a 74 Jbass with black blocks on a maple board.

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    There doesn't seem to be any screw holes for the thumb rest in the body, just the pickguard, which points to at least the pickguard being a replacement.

10. Hang ooooooooon!!. I've just looked at the link in the original post:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2780/4441959473_b6957790f7_o.jpg

Which shows the back of the body. Four bolt neck, 6 digit serial number which (I think) is 403099 - could someone with better eysight confirm this?.

If so then that would date it as an early 1973 (the serial number on my Precision is 403676 - hey they may have been in the factory at the same time!!).

So the scratchplate IS a replacement - I stand corrected!! (although I'm sitting down).

11. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    The black pick guard as well should indicate 74 or later I believe. There is a lit of figuring on the neck too, but I'm not convinced the neck isn't legit, just that the guard might be a replacement, which wouldn't surprise me since I think the white guards look tacky on the natural finish, but that's just me (and apparently this basses prior owner :D).

The detail of the pics and the backdrop almost reminds me of an Elderly sale page, is that where this is listed or is it a private sale?

12. Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Feb 14, 2009
    Montréal, QC

Hmm, you're probably right -- it just didn't come to my mind that this bass could have had at some point in the past a bridge cover (the current bridge is too big to allow for one, that's what threw me off).

This back photo shows another weird thing: did Fender ever make basses with anything other than 1-piece necks?

13. The "skunk stripe" you can see is covering up the route where the truss rod was inserted. Maple necks are/were made of one piece of wood - no separate fingerboard - and the truss rod is fitted by routing a channel in the back of the neck and filling it with a darker piece of wood - rosewood fingerboard necks of the time don't have this.

BTW, replacing the (very unstable) bent piece of steel bridge that Fender fitted as standard with a Badass was pretty normal practise around that time as well - I did the same!!.

In the early '70s, and assuming I read the serial number in the picture correctly - this is a 1973, Fender basses came with flatwounds, ashtrays (with a foam mute over the bridge) and the finger rest fitted below the strings.

So, in conclusion your honour, to CSI this instrument:

This is an early 1973 Fender Jazz bass in excellent (judging by the photos only) condition for its age. However, I would mention the following points

1. The Pickguard is a later replacement - don't quote me, but I think it should be white.
    2. The bridge - a Badass II - is also a replacement.
    3. The ashtrays, which would have been fitted as standard, are missing.

14. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    The maple/black blocks and binding were available in 71,72 and 73. My 73 is like that ,and has a gap in the neck pocket big enough to drive a Mac truck into.That neck has an awful lot of birdseye in it,so I'm thinking its an aftermarket neck. You can loosen the neck bolts and shift the neck over a bit to get the alighment you need.

15. PaulonBEADG

Dec 11, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Here is a full size picture.
    It's a retail store that has it for sale.

That space where the neck and body join is larger than it appears in the photo. Still thinking about pulling the trigger on this but that gap has me worried.

When I thumb slap the e string it doesn't sound like it should.

Not an expert on Jazz basses but the block inlays look real.

4442516585_79a271ca8f_o.jpg

16. mailboxmoney

mailboxmoney

Jun 29, 2006
    Is the birdseye maple neck normal for Fender? Looks like a replacement neck especially considering the "fit." Also if you can remove the replacement guard maybe you can see evidence of a refin, perhaps in the pup routes ....

17. Its a real one!! - this is a 1973 Jazz bass with a replacement pickguard and bridge. The Decal on the headstock and the way the finish has darkened over the years gives it away.

Don't worry about that gap - Fender's QC at the time left a lot to be desired and the fit on my Precision ain't any better!!.

18. tdizzle

tdizzle

Aug 3, 2009
    Detroit, MI
    Could not have said it better myself. It is a fine looking bass. As for the neck fit, the only permanent fix will be to plug and re-drill the screw holes in the neck (I had this done many years ago to my 74 J). The gap is not as big an issue as the misaligned neck. Depending on your playing style, you might end up pulling the G string off the fretboard because it is so close to the edge.

19. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Looks absolutely super... heavy?

20. PaulonBEADG

Dec 11, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, she's pretty heavy.
    Not sure about the exact weight though.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020