Jazz Bass cavitys

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rowan_Jazz_Head, Oct 19, 2003.

1. I have two jazz basses a MIM standard and a MIA standard and they both have a big route from the controls to the bridge pickup when I take the scratch plate off. I was wondering if theres any way I can shield this hole in order to put on the ashtray pickup covers as I bought the covers or ebay before finding out that I wouldn't be able to fit both on. What can I do? cheers
  2. I'm having a little trouble understanding your question. The pup covers shouldn't have anything to do with the cavity under the pickguard.

Are you wondering how to attach the bottom of the neck pup cover in an area that doesn't have wood behind it?

You can "shield" that cavity just as you would any other. Remember to put your shielding foil on the back of the pickguard too or you'll have a large opening for stray, noisy signals.
  3. if you are talking about screwing the pup cover in wood, what you could do, is cut up a little cubed piece of wood and screw the cover onto that..
  4. What I am talking about is not the pickup covers as far as the ACTUAL pickup cover but the chrome ashtray pickup cover or what ever it is called. I want to have the cover on like the Marcus Miller bass but I can not screw it in on the right side as there is the cavity there. I was wondering if there was anything I can put in the cavity so I can screw in the chrome ashtray pickup cover.
  5. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I believe your bridge pickup should have all wood around it unless you're confusing the bridge with the neck, I've never put on on the neck side so I wouldn't know if the hole matches up with the routing orwhatever but I do believe your route curves downward into the control plate area so you should be able to fit both on fine
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Screw it right into the pickguard.
  7. yeah, nino is right.

My dad did the same thing with his american jazz, just screw it into the pickguard. It's very solid, you wont have any problems.
  8. my pickard is the 62 reissue so it already has the holes for it.
  9. Becareful, the wood is easily striped!