Jazz bass choice.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jrex, Jun 26, 2005.

1. jrex

Jun 17, 2005
    SouthEastern Wi.
    I'm new to the forum and have been playing bass for about 15yrs. I currently am desiring a 5 string jazz bass. My Lakland 55-94 is great but sometimes I just can't dial in that "J" bass tone. I'm looking at either a Lakland USA JO5 or a Fender Custom Classic 5, both will probably be ordered sight unseen. Does anyone have any experience with either of these two basses? I can testify to the Lakland's low "B" string, awsome, but sometimes wonder if the "controversal" 35" scale would kill the "J" tone you get with a 34" scale, like the Fenders and Sadowsky's. I've read lots of Talk Bass threads and look forward to the response. :D
  2. well some people are gonna groan at me for saying this, but have you considered checking out KSD jazz basses...i have the 70's 5 string and i cant praise it highly enough...mind you ive never played a sadowsky or lakland...ive played fender american deluxe jazz basses 4 and 5 string and i really like them, but im not 100% on the downsized bodies......the KSD's have nice full sized bodys and the satin finished necks feel great....at least give them a play..id like to know how they compare to a lakland...

3. IMO.... If you are looking for an aggressive, 70's style JBass 5 string that really sounds like a JBass and has a 35" scale, the Celinder basses are the best I've ever played (if you have the cash!). If you are looking for a more 60's vibe, I agree with the majority of TBer's that the Sadowsky Metro Vintage is probably the way to go for the money.
  4. jrex

Jun 17, 2005
    SouthEastern Wi.
    I've read all the threads about the Sadowsky Metro's. they sound great. Like I had said I really don't forsee being able to try them out. For a 34" scale bass where do the Fender Custom Classic 5's fall in. I've heard that the Fender custom shop does put out some good quality instruments. It's a Fender Jazz I should be able to get a good Fender Jazz sound out of it?????
  5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    we love Fenders Jazzes :D
  6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Sadowsky has a 7 day trial period

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    +1 , if you can find the fender used, I'd consider. But it's new price is too close to the Metro, I'm not sure they compare.
  8. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    and musiciansfriend has a 45-day return policy.

Maybe if you find a Lakland dealer with a return policy you can buy a Lakland, a Fender Custom Classic, and a Sadowsky and give a comparative review; then return two. :D I don't remember a first-hand review of the Custom Classic and I haven't seen one in a store. I'm looking for a 34" scale jazz myself.
  9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Great idea Toad. That way you can judge for yourself. What one person cares for in a jazz bass might be completely different to the next guy or gal

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I highly recommend the Fender Roscoe Beck V! The many switching options give it a high degree of versatility, but it was designed to be a 5-string J-bass and it does that very well.

FWIW I don't think 35" scale "kills" the J tone, but 34" scale does sound more authentic.