1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz bass clone $450

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lastminute, Oct 3, 2008.

1. lastminute

lastminute

Dec 25, 2007
    What's a Jazz bass clone I can get for the price of a new Fender Standard, but with better specs?

2. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    What's wrong with the Fender Standard? I had a fretted and a fretless MIM Standard and they were great basses!

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Buy the Fender, then, when you want to improve your specs, throw in some DIY upgrades!

4. http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb75ltdcar.html

Many on here have said the the SX LTD series basses are better than the MIM's...I've never played one though so I'm just relaying what I've read. Not much choice as far as colors go.

5. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    squier VM
    way better, way cheaper

6. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I find it very hard to make an apples to apples comparison between a MIM Fender Jazz and an SX Jazz. I've owned both. The neck on the SX has a completely different neck profile than a MIM Jazz. The SX is chunkier feeling and the nut is slightly wider that a standard Jazz 1.5 inch. The SX is simply made with less expensive parts and in a side by side comparison you can see it and feel it. Some people may like the SX neck profile better, I personally do not. Used Fender MIM Jazz basses can be bought for a little more than a new SX. The GC near my house had a used MIM Jazz in stock the other day for $249 with no damage and it came with a gig bag.

7. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    As someone who was recently looking at buying a Jazz bass, I would say purchase a used MIM Jazz for $200-300 and then spend some money on upgrades. Possible upgrades include:

- New pickups (Too many options to list)
    - New wiring/pots (Bayou Audio Cables sells pre-made harnesses)
    - Active preamp (Audere, J-Retro, etc)
    - Better tuners (Hipshot Ultralites, etc)

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Save yup your dough and search out a late 80's early 90's MIJ. You should be able to find one under $600 - and it will rock your world - a significant step above a MIM

9. If you are lucky enough to find a Cort GB99,it's impotant that you buy it.It sounds brilliant.

CORTGB99BLVB.

10. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Fernandes makes an incredible Jazz clone. Basically a 62 copy but way fast neck and light. Blows any MIA fender away.

See http://www.fernandes.co.jp/products/fernandes_bass.html

and look at the model RJB which is the current model

These were preavlent in the states in the late 80's and early nineties and can be found on ebay for $300ish. There was recently one on TB for $375 shipped. Might still be up here. Worth every penny.

11. kudzoorude

kudzoorude

Oct 31, 2007
    Jackson, MS
    I actually purchased the MIM Deluxe (with Active Noiseless PUs).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Deluxe-Active-Jazz-Bass-103030979-i1147152.gc

Figured that I would eventually replace it, but I get more compliments on the sound I get from this bass. I'm always surprised when someone comes up to me after a set and goes on and on about how great this bass sounds.

I was going to trade/sell it a few months back for a 5-Stringer but I just threw a HipShot on it and it works just as well for me. The neck feels great and though I'd still like to get a meatier sound out of it, I've been very satisfied with this bass.

Rog

12. Prices were increased recently, but you should be able to find some of the "old" G&L Tribute JB-2s at the old price of $450.

Mike

13. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    fair enough but after purchasing all this stuff and also paying the labor to have it all installed ( hopefully by a competent tech ) correctly then you're almost back at a $1000.00 dollars unless you buy these parts used also

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    What's "better"?:confused:

15. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Schechter Diamond J. I can't remember where I played it, but I remember really liking it. It had a great Jazz look and feel, and a nice substantial bridge. Also it is exactly in your price range. Kind of hard to find one to play in person, but it's available online. http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-SCHDJB.html?PHPSESSID=49f7f97b899d708aee5d596922fa9838

The Cort that was mentioned is a great bass also, I played an active version, and it sounded a bit modern for my taste, but the buildi was top knotch, and I bet a passive version is awesome. I think Guitar Center is a Cort Dealer, and can order you one.. The G&L tribute that was mentioned is another good choice, some dealers may still have stock of that one..

I can't think of many other new J-bass clones at the MIM price point. I think your best bet may be the used market.

MIJ Fenders are sometimes avialable in that price range.

Hammer Cruise Basses can sometimes be found at a good deal.

A used ESP/LTD J1000 would be an awesome. That bass changed my opinions of LTD's, and EMG pickups.

Ibanez has made a number of very good J-style basses in the past. I played a really nice used one a couple of months ago that I think was called the "expressionist". I think it was around $350

16. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Better specs? Care to elaborate? :eyebrow:

I'll put my MIM with a BAII and custom nut for my preferred gauge strings up against any MIA.

17. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    The new MIM Fenders are great...
    IMHO I prefer the Deluxe...

18. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I've seen some used Japanese Fender jazzes for around $500 shipped...

19. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
  20. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I *love* the Schecter Diamond Js. I compared one back-to-back with my old American Deluxe Precision, and the Schecter blew away the Fender. Better fit, finish, tone, hardware, fretwork, etc, and only $450 new.

http://www.onlinestagegear.com/brand/Schecter/Bass/Diamond_J/Diamond_J.html

Here's a nice, large photo:

http://www.instrumentpro.com/image.php?src=/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/SCHDJB.jpg

Edit: Looks like Eilif beat me to it! In that case, +1