Jazz Bass Control Preference

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tplyons, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Volume/Volume/Tone

2. Volume/Blend/Tone

3. Stack-Knob a la '61

4. Other (please specify)

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Okay guys,

1998 MIM Fretless Jazz
    Going for a vintage tone
    Going to throw in some Dimarzio's, probably Ultra-Jazz

What control options to use? I like versatality, and this is surely a player bass. Live, studio, so the wiring has to be good and solid. But not confusing.

What do you like best and why?
  2. I quite like the J-retro control layout if your going to go active.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I thought about it, but when your preamp costs 150% of what the bass did, I get confused. :confused:

That, and I'm switching over to a passive P-Bass, so I think I'll keep them all that way, and do the controlling at the amp.
  4. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    V/B/T with series parallel switch.
  5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    B/V/T with S/P switching. I use the Blend a lot more than Volume when playing, so I put it first.
  6. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I was on the V/V/T band wagon but I recently bought bought a used Lakland USA JO stack knob. It seems to offer more flexibility.
  7. Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    What is "added cap"?

I have a '04 Fender Hwy 1 Jazz that I'm thinking about adding DiMarzio DP123's and V/V/T but with a push-pull DPDT switch for series/parallel.

Also, why Blend over two Volumes?

Sorry for the thread intrusion. I'm trying to get as much tone versatility out of my Jazz as I can, and have gotten most of ideas from SMASH's old threads. Thanks SMASH.
  8. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I use V/V/T, passive with a twist. It's actually:

Neck Volume/Master Volume/Tone

Why? Well, I like having a master volume for one thing, and In my experience (some may differ, but it's just me), a blend pot doesn't give me the same sound as independent volumes. The only thing I lose is being able to solo the neck pup which I never do with a Jazz anyway.

I've thought about doing a mod with the extra resistor on a puch/pull vol pot, like the Roscoe Beck model. Seems like it would give me instant bridge pup sound and I could then still have 2 volumes. Of course I would lose the master volume then, which I like a lot. Anybody got experience with that mod or uses a Beck?
  9. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    I use a Blend over two volumes because it's faster, more replicable, and can be bypassed for series/parallel.
  10. Same as my new MIA Jazz with upgrade

Vol., Vol., Tone, S-1 (pickup series/parallel button)
  11. xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    V/T with a push-pull volume for series/parallel.
  12. That'll work too! :bassist:

It does make it easy to see and feel what posistion you are in. With the center press button on my neck p/u volume it is hard to see in low light conditions but found it easy to just feel it. When depressed you feel the surrounding outer portion of the volume knob. When in parallel mode and not depressed it is just a smooth and rounded feel.
  13. Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    thanks for the info!