Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz bass customising completed!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris h, Mar 1, 2003.

1. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    I was lucky enough to stumble upon a pair of genuine ashtray covers for my jazz bas when i was in london the other day.. teamed them up with a new scratchplate and basically, it feels like a new bass! the covers obscure the fact it has emg pickups but hey, they look cool. Check out the pic. I know we see them all the time, but i never get sick of pictures of jazz basses...

2. Lozenger

Lozenger

Feb 26, 2003
    Nice, you have reason to feel proud of that!!

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I put them on mine too. Gives it a great look.

4. Do you actually play that thing with the pickup and bridge covers on??....personaly I hate those things....they are ugly and they get in the way..I have been playing bass for over 20 years using mostly Fender Jazz's or P's..I must have got rid of 100's of those... they are cool if you if play like Carol Kaye.. I have a bridge cover on my 77 P but it is smaller than the J one's...hey! whatever man,, if you like'm that's all that matters..
    I am happy for you....:bassist:

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I actually play with 'em on, and they don't get in the way. I do everything from slapping to fingerstyle funk.

6. Very nice. Someday I hope to have a nice Jazz bass, perhaps a reissue of some sort, but that new Aerodyne Jazz is kind of tempting!

jtbp

7. Anyone know where I can get some pickup covers/ashtrays for my jazz?

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Musician's Friend.

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    yep, they're cool.

[​IMG]

10. i don't really like the pup covers much, but that black/tortoise pg is SWEET!

I love bridge covers, especially the fender ones with the 'f' dented on them, look awesome!

I should make one for my gibson, that'd be coo..:)

11. do pickup covers affect the sound at all? Or are they just decorative?

12. Back in the day, the bridge cover used to have foam under it to sort of muffle the ring of the strings. Other than that, they are just nice to look at.