Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass Detective NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mstott25, Sep 18, 2005.

1. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    I recently purchased a Fender Jazz bass which I was told was a 1966 body and the neckplate verified this. However, I was noticing some characteristics about this bass which were uncommon to other 66 jazz bodies. For one thing, the holes for the pickguard didn't match up to the other 66's and there were no holes on the bass where I have seen the "finger rest" on other 66 jazz basses. Another oddity about this bass is that the bridge pickup fits perfectly in the slot which was cut for it, however there is extra space (like a square in the middle) for the neck pickup. I thought that I heard they did those on 70's jazz basses. Finally, when searching for a pickguard that would fit this bass i noticed the only one's that matched were the post 72 jazz bass styles but my bass didn't have any holes where a thumbrest would go on those pickguards. That is until I held it under a certain light and noticed that there appeared to be holes where a thumbrest would go and they were filled with putty and painted over. So...can anybody else help me solve this mystery? Is this a jazz bass from after 1972...or do I just have circumstantial evidence? Please help as this transaction is not complete and I need to resolve this! Thanks a lot.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You should ask Steve Barr over at the Dude Pit.

It could be a refin that's had the holes filled, or it could be a later body.

3. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    thanks, I guess I could pose this question to some folks over there. I know I saw somebody here mention that the 70's jazz basses had the pickup cavities cut larger but I couldn't find that thread when I searched for it. Anybody know?

4. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    I wish I had some pics of it right now but my wife just took our digital camera with her out of town. I'll try to explain it a little better. The bridge pickup fits perfect into the slot cut out for it. However, the slot for the neck pickup has been cut (by who?) bigger so that there is extra room. It looks kind of like this:

lllllllllllllll llllllllllllllll
    lllllllllllllll llllllllllllllll

llllllllllllll llllllllllllll
    llllllllllllll llllllllllllll

Whereas the slot for the bridge pickup fits the pickup and looks like this:

llllllllllll lllllllllllll
    llllllllllll llllllllllllll
    llllllllllll llllllllllllll

(by the way that line down the middle is supposed to be where the pickup goes)

Sorry about the cheesy diagram, hopefully it makes some sense to you. The original pickups have been replaced so maybe the guy who replaced them did this but I don't know why he would have. I'd like to take a look at that Fender book, I'll try and locate one.

5. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    You need to be very careful with vintage stuff - only buy it from reputable sources (who will refund if something doesn't check out) or if you can be dead certain you know what you are getting.

Though not diagnostic, the holes for the guard post '72-ish had a screw hole almost directly above the neck pup. Earlier mountings had the hole further towards the neck by about an inch. If its been repainted, modifications to the routing may not mean much at all. Further, someone may have mounted a later guard with the later screw hole pattern. At least through '64 the body had a very characteristic bulge in the cutout right below the neck joint. That may have been gone by '66. I don't know. The neck plate means absolutely nothing, since people mix and match parts at will.

Good luck.