1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz bass E string pops

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mobiless, Jan 15, 2012.

1. on my highway one when i am muting e sting i get very annoying and pretty loud popping, there's no problem on other strings, just e string. I tried to raise action up, but surprisingly no difference.. :) Any ideas?

2. brandau

brandau

Jan 30, 2008
    NYC
    try lowering the pickups... sounds like the string is touching one of the poles...

3. one of pickup poles (one of e string string) seems to be deeper than all the others so maybe that's the problem?

4. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    ^This would be my suggestion as well...

5. already tried that, no effect

string started to pop after that pole piece went depper. After that i never had this kind of problem..

6. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Can you post a picture?

7. That popping sound is seriously really annoying! And i won't even talk about how bad slap sounds on e string.. Lowering pickups somehow not helping at all

8. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Make sure you are not pressing the string into the pickup. :)

9. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    If the pole piece moved deeper into the bobbin by itself, it's loose and could be moving in the bobbin when it's magnetic field is being excited by the string. It needs to be repositioned and glued.

May not be the prob, but worth a look-see.

mech