Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass enthusiasts...why are jazz basses so sexy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Jan 20, 2005.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've played many different kinds of basses over the past 14 years. Currently I'm playing a Trib L2K and I'm loving the tone, looks and weight but once I get away from a Jazz bass...I ALWAYS end up gassing for another. WHY IS THIS? Sorry for the rant. So what makes the Jazz basses so appealing?? Did Leo create the perfect fitting, looking, playing bass when he created the jazz??

Looking forward to hearing from Jazz enthusiasts and those who aren't.

Thx,
    -Bazz-

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I think Sadowsky and Lull jazzes are sexy.. Can't say I feel the same about Fenders.

Some other sexy ones IMO

Valenti Basses
    Low End Jazzes

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Well, maybe my story may be of interest for you.
    I have been changing my gear often during the last years.
    At a point I decided I wanted something simple, not too expensive, and that would do the job properly whatever I ask it.
    The choice of the Jazz Bass was obvious to me, though I had never owned any before.

[​IMG]

I play in a cover band playing many different styles of music, and yes the Jazz Bass is OK for any of the songs.
    The guys I play with have all 20+ years of professional musical experience, and they are simply amazed by my tone.
    Now I'm in search of a higher end bass, but yes I will keep the Jazz Bass, due to its huge versatility.

Though, I agree with Mark who seems to point out the inconstant quality level on Fender basses.

Cheers,
    JL

4. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    It's all about the curves...! It's in the hips and the waist of the design. These words should bring the image of a woman (or man depending on preference...) with very different posture for the Pbass and Jbass. The P seems more strict and standing strait. As for the J... well, sexy might be the best way to put it... it seems looser (not sure if I'm making any sence here).

PL

5. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Oh, man. Now I miss my old jazz even more! I need to go get a MIM at least. I think it's the neck. it's prety thin, IMO. That may have something to do with it.

6. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I love my Warwick.. Mmm jazz pick ups the growl.. I just love the growl sooo much.. Tone works for most Genre's.

7. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    not to hijack my own thread but I forgot to mention how sexy Rickenbackers are as well. Just as sexy as the jazz IMO. Both shapes just seem so eye catching and fluid.

8. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Sexy? I don't know that that's a word I'd use. Jazz basses are comfortable to play and offer versatility, playability, tone, and the ability to be easily modified to suit practically any usage. They, along with the Precision bass, have a certain (for lack of a better word) "vibe" which only seems to come with Fenders.

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I consider this sexy!!

[​IMG]

:hyper:

10. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Jazz basses are sexy because of the offset, asymetrical body.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Random plug :-/ Jazz.....warwick? I dont see it. This isnt a 'post what bass you love' thread, its a 'lovers of jazzes' thread.

oh well.

12. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    It's a lover of Jazzes thread? So? A lot of us do love Fenders in general and Jazzes in particular and there are a lot of "love" threads on this forum.

13. jokke_v

jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    I don't own one (yet), but I find the necks on the Fender Jazz V's to be iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiincredibly comfy to play.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I was simply commenting on the fact that all he comented about was a warwick. Im not sure if just having 2 single coils justifies calling a bass a jazz bass. But what i say doesnt matter, feel free to gloat about whatever you want, im just being anal. :)

15. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Sorry, Figjam, I misunderstood.

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Jazz basses suck! :bag:

17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Pryohr, you suck. LOL

Rob

18. Don't get me wrong...I think Jazzes are great. But that certain "thang" that keeps me coming back is just not there in a jazz for me. I find it in P-BASSES! :bassist: :bassist:

Sure, Precisions, tonally, are not as versatile as Jazzes, but there's just something about their simplicity and their bottom end. Oh yeahhhh...their bottom end....SWEET!

19. In what way do jazz basses suck? Or are you just setting yourself up to get a lot of verbal tomatoes thrown at you?

20. JB inspired a lot of bass makers.
    Simply look at how many took the idea of dual pickup instead of a single one a la Precision. Right there the idea was good from the beginning.

I don't know, like others, IMHO sexy is not the word I would use for a JB...
    However I do find Ritter basses SEXY ;)

Electronics and bass making (luthiery?) have come a long way from the 70's Jazz Bass... why not trying new things out?