Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jazz bass for pop punk

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dancrosbie, May 1, 2005.

1. dancrosbie

dancrosbie

Apr 25, 2005
    I'm currently playing a Squier P-Bass and I want to upgrade. I love the neck of the jazz bass and I am able to play jazz basses a lot better because of it. My band has a show comming up and I wanted to know, would a Fender Jazz Bass be a good choice for pop-punk style music? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    no, jazz basses are only for jazz. :D i figured i'd be the first one to say it. yeah, a fender jazz is a good choice for ANY type of music. leo fender, in his infinite wisdom, made some very versatile basses :bassist:

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

Please tell me you are not serious...

Get a Fender Jazz. Enjoy it. Love it. Rock out with it.

Edit: I see you edited your post. i hoped you were being sarcastic!

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    The most copied, most versitile bass ever produced....good for everything, bad for nothing, great for alot of things!!!

5. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    listen to alkaline trio, one of my favourite examples of poppunk and jazz basses

6. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    i love my jazz bass for pop punk stuff. i rarely use a p-bass.

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1

8. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    hmmm...you know i'm just going to slide this into this thread, sorry for taking over. but to answer your Q, yes, jazz basses cover just about everything, including pop/punk.

For all J owners:

What kind of settings do you use when you want to get as close to P sound as possible? Speaking mainly about knob control/strings i suppose.

yippie :bassist:

9. Jazz basses are great... I'd say the most versatile basses out there. They can definitely give you a good pop-punk sound, and as you know already, they play amazingly. For P-like tone, blend the neck pickup only, and roll off the tone know ever so slightly. Try experimenting, they can produce tons of tones and are very comfortable basses to do so with,

10. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Trevorus- I'm sure Fred was being sarcastic given his smiley. But you will be surprised how many people in the "real" world will turn down a Jazz Bass because "I don't play jazz" and get a more "rawk" bass.

Jazz basses are great. People in all genres of music use them. Marcus Miller uses his for jazz, Geddy Lee uses his for prog rock, Martin Mendez (of Opeth) uses his for metal...

Yeah, no matter what style of music you play, you can dial in a great tone on a Jazz bass.

11. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    as stated before....ANY TYPE of music can be played with a jazz bass. Get one and have fun!
    -Bazz-

12. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i have a Jazz bass(after this was stolen of my car) and i say this basses are very versatile,you can play everything with this bass

13. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    that and that pop punk can be played with any bass. its just hitting the root really fast. but there are people like GBC who have recorded punk with their 9 strings... :D

14. :rolleyes:
    Check out Karl Alvarez or Bob Thomson.

15. dancrosbie

dancrosbie

Apr 25, 2005
    Is a Jazz Bass going to be a better choice than a Precision Bass for pop punk music that is like Relient k and New Found Glory? My band has a similar sound to them and both of those bands use P-Basses and so I'm just curious as to why they choose the p-bass over the j-bass. Thanks again.

16. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Personal preference, really.

17. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    just check out the walker link in my sig, i used a Fender MIJ 75RI i bought from Mass from Squirtgun/Screaching Weasel for just about everything(only bass i used live after picking it up). started out with a MIM P for the first 6 months or so(back in '93) until i borrowed that MIJ J to record with and talked Mass into selling it shortly thereafter. Also, Dan(Alk3) uses both J's and P's to record, but has almost always used the J's live.

18. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Generally, no. A P is going to sound more pop-punk than a J. Having said that, I know for a fact that both those bands use P's and J's. Mostly P's live though. No one has mentioned the idea of a P/J bass (the kind with one P pickup, one J pickup, and a J neck) that would give you a comfy neck with the P tone you like. Go to a store and play a bunch of each kind. Decide for yourself. I have a J, I want a P. I'm sure if I had a P, I'd want a J as well. Don't worry about it. Just make sure to play a lot before you decide.

19. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    jazz basses look better ;)

....here comes the flames! :)

20. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i played ina pop punk band years ago.

i used an mim p-bass.

either instrument would be good for it. its really a matter of personal prefrence.

if the jazz is better because your hands are smaller, go with the jazz. i would go with whatever instrument played better. to me, it is/was the p-bass.