Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz bass for punk?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Markie, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Markie

Markie

Jun 9, 2004
    Hey if i get a jazz bass and install Quarter pounder (for jazz), will it be good for punk rock music like blink 182 and nofx???

2. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Yeah sure, why not. Boost the mids and Bob is your uncle!

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Any bass is good for punk. If you're aiming for pop-punk, then yeah. It'll get you a good sound. Most pop-punk bassist go for a really clean sound with a super thin pick, like Mark Hoppus. But for actual punk, like Nofx, use whatever you want. Fat Mike uses a Danolectro. Wanna know why? Because he says its the lightest thing he can find.

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Bryan from Bouncing Souls uses a Jazz Bass

5. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    yeah not to mention i believe he said he has a bad back. but hey when i saw them long time ago on warped tour he just borrowed a stingray from mike in mxpx.

6. Get an overdrive pedal and any bass will work :D

7. He also said they are cheap, so he doesn't worry about having a high end bass and damaging it.

8. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Jazz Bass is the best, click the link in my sig for audio clips.

9. Markie

Markie

Jun 9, 2004
    You use a pick to play that? Whose basslines is that? Is a jazz bass? U play punk rock?

10. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I use a clayton 1.26 mm pick. It's my own line, just A B C with fills. It's a MIM Jazz with a Badass Bass II Bridge. I used to play punk, but I've moved on to hardcore / anything that screams now.

11. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA

one of my favorite bassists is from the nerve agents and he actually is in the same boat. he used a dean edge live, but on recordings he used a higher end bass. he said live things are to unpredictable at there shows and he can afford to get his dean damaged. i think in the recordings he played like a MIA jazz or american delux jazz i cant remember.

12. Markie

Markie

Jun 9, 2004
    I like the way mark hoppus sounds.... can jazz bass delivers that?

13. Markie

Markie

Jun 9, 2004
    I think jazz bass looks ugly, the pickups and 3 knobs...... i prefer precision... but i am on tight budget

14. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    If you like the way the Hoppus sounds, but hate the Jazz look, then get a P-bass and put in a Duncan 1/4 pickup. They're cheaper then Jazz basses.

Hoppus, ick.

~Patrick

15. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Don't forget the P plays different then a J. But I think about it... P would be more suitable for punk concerning the neck? Big hands, big feeling isn't it. And the P model rules too by the way. (saw a gorgeous fretless P, ashtrays included, sunburst....wow!!)

16. appler

appler Guest

I think P-basses are usually cheaper than Jazzes... if you want a Precision, get one. Check out the Fender Deluxe P-bass Special, too. It's a Precision body, P/J pickups, and a Jazz-style neck. Worth a look.

17. Markie

Markie

Jun 9, 2004
    can i remove the 2 volume knobs on the jazz bass, leaving with just the volume knob?

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Good, because the P-bass is cheaper than the J! :D

Toss a Seymour Duncan Quarter-Pounder pickup in it. Check it out: www.basslines.com

19. check out Anti-Flag, the Terror State was recorded on a GeddyLee - or a 70's RI - it's the same style as a Geddy. (maple neck with black blocks and binding). looks awesome! sounds just as good! ;)

20. for old-school punk, listen to the intro to the The Skids' "into the valley".
    that was a 70's rosewood-board Jazz played with a pick.