1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz bass growl + hot player + how do I get that?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GroovinOnFunk, Nov 1, 2013.

1. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    Ok, first of all, you are all welcome for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggPooXtzUD0

How sick is that? She ain't bad to look at, but despite how ridiculously hot she is, as soon as she starts playing, that's legitimately all I care about. THAT says something. She is baaaaaaad in the best of ways.

Part 2: I have a Sadowsky RV5 and GK1001RB-ii head. How can I get that much growl out of it? haha But seriously, it has the hum cancelling J's so I know true singles would help, but without modifications, should I be looking to the "low-mid" and "hi-mid" knobs on my amp? :hyper:

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    SS rounds
    Both pickups on full
    Boost those mids
    Boost the boost to 1:00

Then pluck that sumbiotch like you mean it!

3. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Boost both mids?

Not favoring bridge? interesting.

I stay away from SS rounds cuz they hurt the frets :bag: Been using D'Addario nickels though which are pretty bright for Nickels (and usually use a fresh set for gigs)

I usually just set my EQ on bass and amp flat and blend just a bit to the bridge.

4. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Try some stainless rounds, honestly it shouldn't hurt your frets that much. I've been using steel rounds for years and haven't had any issues whatsoever.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're lucky. I sure have. That's why I quit using stainless, too.

6. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Cool tune definitely, I don't know that the bass playing is all that badass but the arrangement is killer and she can certainly play well with good tone. Just sounds like a standard jazz sound with the top end cranked to me.

7. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I think the SS rounds and playing hard are more important. Give me a J bass with fresh SS rounds and I'll make that sound.

8. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I mean... ok, yes, it's nothing overly complex or technical, but it's a killer groove, band is tight, tone is good... hey, I was impressed.

9. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
  10. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    she is hardly ridiculously hot. the most attractive thing about that girl is that shes holding a bass... and my girlfriend looks better than that holding my basses ;)

11. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I get JBass growl with flats. Those DJ5's are a 35" scale bass. You may want to shape your lows to let your mids breathe a bit more if you're trying to compare your tone to hers. We have different rigs but I get great growly results by turning the bass on my amp down all the way, turning my amp up as loud as it needs to go in my sitation then rolling the bass on the amp back into my tone to taste.

I also set my pickups *just* below that friction point/volume bump so I can have that added bit of growl from my bridge pickup when I pump it up. Great results. YMMV.

12. Hotter:

13. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Another great track, thanks for sharing. Love the tone too. I notice he had an octaver on at first and then cut it after the first few bars.

14. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Put your money where your mouth is... Pics or I'm pretty sure you're full of it (I'm banking on the latter).

15. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    octaver is like a cheating way to get more growl, lol

I have one of those in my setup too.

16. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Any active Jazz bass will give you that . Fender Deluxe Jazz for one, Marcus Miller signature for 2,

17. PJRL

PJRL

Mar 27, 2010
    greenfield center NY
    Ever though she's playing a 5 string it sounds like pretty standard Jazz tone, and it sounds great. Notice how she plays right over the bridge P-up, that's how you get that mid-ish / Jazz bridge P-up growl sound. I don't think amp setting are really hot or boosted much but you never know. How you play over the P-ups on a Jazz Bass really effects the sound you will get out of it.

18. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    That's an example of a bunch of very professional musicians playing very well and recorded very well, and I just have no interest in it whatsoever.

19. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i'm not so sure he cut it. sounds like he made an adjustment. (mid-cut/low-boost)

20. For Sure :D