Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass Growl...Lakland Skyline???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chump stain, Jan 26, 2003.

1. I really got some Gas over the Jazz bass growl (except in a 5 string version). I really like the 35" scale and 19mm string spacing on my DP custom. So, when I saw the Lakland Skylines, I was grinnin'.

My question is, which is going to have more of that growl you hear in Geddy Lee's tone, or Tim C from RATM/Audioslave? The 55-01 or the Joe Osborn?

I'm going to have to stick with the Skylines for the price range. but if you know any other 5 string Jazz basses in this price range, that have the 35" scale, and wide string spacing, let me know.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I had a 55-01 for a while & it had a nice aggressive growl but IMO, their is nothing like a Jazz Bass. I haven't played the Osborn yet but it's a Jazz & it sure to have loads of the growl you're looking for.

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    EXACTLY what Nino said!!:p
    those j pickups, especially if they are single coil , is where that growl is.Go for the Osborn.

4. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I think that you will be happy with the growl out of the JO5's.... I sure am with mine!

[​IMG]

P@

5. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Dude, that is sweet! I should have got mine in that color.

6. pmkelly,
    That bass looks SO good to me right now! Nice axe!

yeah, so I'm pretty sure it's the Joe Osborn for me, I'm sure my wife would have something to say about that though.

thanks guys!

PS
    If anyone wants to post a pic of their 5 string Lakland Skyline, let's see 'em!

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    My 55-01