1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz Bass growl tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by badboy1984, Aug 10, 2008.

1. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I was wondering how to dial in that Jazz bass growl tone.

I was looking at this video and found that most jazz bass tone sound like this and i always wanted to try to dial in that kind of tone on my playing.

I usually play between the neck and bridge pickup and blend in the middle etc. Basically i'm one of those that like the tone of beefy warm jazz tone.

I got use to playing over the bridge pickup now and was wondering how i can dial in that kind of tone on my amp or bass.

I use a Fender Classic 60 Jazz Bass and Warwick Corvette. And i use Ashdown MAG300 amp as well.

trothwell likes this.
  2. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    Great tone in the video...

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Use that bridge pickup and crank some mids.

4. redsquidd

redsquidd Banned

Mar 11, 2008
    I like that sound. I call it the Jaco sound (bridge Pick soloed on a Jazz bass) because I never heard a bass on record sound so throaty and midrange-y before I heard Jaco. Stanley has his sound, Squire, Entwhistle, and Geddy have their sound. It's like that strat sound Hendrix got. It's unique.

I just got a new 2008 Fender Jazz bass and dropped in a set of Nordstrand N4JSE pickups. They really nail that sound and don't
    hum. That's my experience for tone quest.

5. kcolyar

kcolyar

Feb 28, 2007
    Moab, Ut 84532
    I think alot of it must be in your fingers. I get that tone with my jazzes, but I cant get other tones I want!!! I think its funny, what ever kind of amp or bass I play through I EQ it or adjust my playing style until it sounds like me. I am my own worst enemy. LOL:bassist:

6. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Backing off the neck pick up and increasing your lower mids.

As well my Jazzes have the same vibe if I do the same thing and I have 3 (at the moment). :bag:

7. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Nonense! I see it as YOU being YOU, not you being your own worst enemy. You get "your" sound regardlessof your amp/cab. god bless ya for it!

8. mailboxmoney

mailboxmoney

Jun 29, 2006
    Seems like part of Jaco's sound was a hint of distortion or hair from the amp - or something. I've noticed that a too hot input on the board gives me a bit of that Jaco punch when the mids are jacked and I play pretty hard down near the bridge (on a Jazz bass of course).... In order to do that I need to have some room to get my fingers under the strings - not too low an action. Any thoughts?

9. jbassplayer

jbassplayer

Jul 30, 2008
    Is there any particular frequency that should be boosted for the best results?

P.S. Im using a 08' j-bass with the stock pickups and a fender bassman 150

:)

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    That is a nice bass sound but I would call it smooth rather than a growl ...

11. zandar

zandar

Jul 8, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    That tone is less about what settings you use and more about playing more aggressively, digging in and fully controlling when and how long the strings get to ring. Showing the bass who's boss, if you will...

12. Jacking the mids and/or hotter preamp gain might get it.

Conversely, you could just ask the poster of the video what he did to get that. He seems fairly active in responding to comments.