Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jazz bass growl

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chrisw, Nov 28, 2004.

1. chrisw

chrisw

Nov 28, 2004
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I'm looking for a new pickup for my jazz bass, I want the most amount of growl I can get. Any ideas on brands or models would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. what kind of bass and amp do you have? I think if your jazz bass isn't growling on its own then your pursuit is hopelss. You need a bass that growls, then good technique. Some pups kill growl, however. What kind of jazz bass is this?

Single Coil Jazz Bass Pups are the best for growl. A P-pup can get great growl too. MM pups, IMO, are growl suppressors.

this guy could probably answer your questions and his prices are reasonable.

http://www.billlawrence.com/

if it is a four string you can get seymour duncan basslines aniquities. Fender makes some "relic" pups too.

3. chrisw

chrisw

Nov 28, 2004
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I have an American series Jazz, and am going through a hartke 4000 head, but will soon be buying a GK 800rb. I already have a decent amount of growl to my bass, but just would like to see how much I can get. I am actually thinking of buying a Geddy Lee Jazz and maybe putting them in there. I kind of just want to have a high output almost distorted sounding bass for certain occasions.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    People mean different things by growl, it's a very subjective term. Some people mean general mid range presence, some people mean a warmer sound with less highs.
    Bart 9J#1's are growly, Dimarzio model J's are growly - but they both sound very different. The Barts are more on the warmer, less high end and the DM's are more on the high mid presence side.
    Have you read Smash's J review thread at the top of the forum? Also, luknfur has several excellent pickup review mega threads including one on J's.
    Don't forget, what sort of strings you use have an effect on the sound as well. It's a simple thing I've been guilty of forgetting myself and ended up changing pickups where changing strings would have done.

5. I would buy a more growl-inducing amp than the GK. Sounds like you have a good bass, though. I like my neck pup, full open and the bridge one about 1/2. THis setting gives good growl, regardless of where you are plucking. I think putting a little more muscle in your left hand gives you more growl(and that doesn't costs anything). If you pluck lightly near the neck like you are playing a ballad or slowly walking a jazz line, really stress your left hand technique and go mellow on your right. You'll see what I mean.

6. chrisw

chrisw

Nov 28, 2004
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Yeah, what I meant was more of the mid-range presence. I've been thinking of the Dimarzios. I actually read that review right after I started this thread, found it very helpfull. I have some seymour duncan lightning rods in my bass right now that I am happy with (even though he does bash those in his review). I was just thinking I would try to buy some pretty aggressive sounding jazz pickups to go with the Geddy Lee I'm planning on buying. I figured some mid range heavy pickups would go well with the maple neck and the amount of sustain those basses are suppose to get. I think I'm going to go with either the dimarzios or get some pickups custom wound for more output. Thanks for all the help.

7. Cool. SOunds like you are getting closer to what you want. I think the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass has the Bridge pup closer to the bridge, which makes a huge difference.

What's weird is sometimes the growl you hear in a live setting is awesome but doesn't sound good by itlesf.

8. I totally agree.

9. chrisw

chrisw

Nov 28, 2004
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I didn't know that about the geddy lee bass having the pickup closer to the bridge, that would be perfect. I've been noticing a lot of people switching to these basses.

10. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    p + j all the way for serious growl..

11. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    My apoligies, I make a conscious effort to try not to bash and stick to what I hear. Aside from personal preference, there are too many variables involved in tone to really criticize and given set of pups cause they may work very well under one set of circumstances and not well at all under others. When I started doing those things I fully expected people to jump in with their own experiences with like pups - especially if my experience was very contradictory to theirs. One never know, do one.

12. chrisw

chrisw

Nov 28, 2004
    Los Angeles, Ca
    No need to apologize, I wasn't at all offended that you didn't like the pickups I use. I was actually just joking around when I said that, people like different things and like you said it depends on the circumstances. Anyway, I actually did find what you wrote to be very helpfull.