1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Bass Growl...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by back as a wolf, Feb 23, 2008.

1. I have an '03 Mexican Jazz, upgraded with a BadAss II Bridge and some Fender Noiseless Jazz Bass pickups. I mess around with my EQ trying to get a growly tone (think Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures) but to no avail I can't seem to get a sound that I like. Is it the pickups? I'm not really looking to get a new bass but I'm interested if anyone has some good EQ tips or even pedals on how to get that kind of sound. Is his signal overly processed in the studio or something? I also have an MXR M-80 Pedal, if that helps...thanks a bunch.

2. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i imagine you are talking about geddy?

to me, his sound is mildly compressed to eveness and punch. blend to the bridge pickup a lil bit and add some grind

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    The growl you're hearing there (on the tracks where he is using the jazz, at least), it not typical jazz bass growl. If you're looking for that kind of grit, you'll need some overdrive.

If you want to hear classic jazz bass growl, favour the back pickup a bit and you should get a feel for it.

4. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Well, Geddy did use a bit of overdrive on his basses in the early 80's. But, my experience is that the Noiseless pickups are overly clean and smooth. All the basses I've played with them just didn't have any single-coil grit. Try out some Fender SCN's is you want to stay with hum-cancelling single-coils. I have them in my AD Jazz and they sound a lot like single-coils. They just have a touch more low end and they don't hum. Lots of Jazz growl in those. Nordstrand also makes some very nice, but quiet, Jazz pickups.

Finally, Geddy uses a Sansamp RBI which is a rackmounted version of the BDDI these days. So, you could consider trying the BDDI to add a little more gritty OD to your sound and that might get you there, even with your current pickups. It's a handy little thing to have anyways.

5. Well, to compensate for some of the lost brightness with the noiseless pickups, I have 500k pots instead of the traditional 250.

6. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Low action helps you get growl, maybe try lowering the strings

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I'm not sure that is helping. BTW, are you playing near the bridge?
    Use plenty of gain on the amp, roll off the neck pickup and set the amp fairly flat.
    Round wounds help. :cool:

Control tone with where and how you touch.

8. Yeah, I usually play over the bridge pickup. I move to the other pick up or the edge of the neck if what I'm playing calls for a less punchy sound.

9. Wootsticks

Wootsticks

Jul 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I've tried using varying degrees of bridge pickup and plucking all over the bass along with different EQs, but I can't get the growl I want. I need some help as well, what should I set my EQ at? I've got a three-band EQ on my bass and a four-band on my amp. Also, I only have a blend knob, not an individual volume. Any help?

10. blmeier7

blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    I second trying some single coil pickups, it gives the bass that raw agressive sound in my opinion. Also, what strings are you using?

I am using a Geddy Lee jazz with the badass bridge, Nordstrand single coils, DR low rider strings and I get tons of growl.

Try really digging into the strings using just the tips of your fingers rather than using the "fatty", flat part of your fingers...if that makes any sense.

11. Wootsticks

Wootsticks

Jul 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I've got everything stock on a Squier DJAV with DR Hi-beams.

12. blmeier7

blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    What amp/cabinet are you using?

I run the eq on my head completely flat. My bass is passive so I don't have a seperate eq on the bass. I run both pickups close to full on and the tone control all the way up or close to it.

Depending on your amp you shouldn't have to make any drastic changes to your eq. Start with everything flat and then try boosting or cutting the mids only and see if you can find a tone that works. Keep your bass pickups close to full volume, keep your gain as high as you can just before it begins to clip. Then control your overall volume with your amp volume. HTH

13. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    IMO the Noiceless pups are not the best for getting a growly tone. I replaced the noiceless pups in my Jazz V with some Nordstrands, and I`m really happy with them

14. Haha I wish I knew that before I put the Noiseless pups in. I use medium gauge Elixir nanowebs. Also, a Fender Rumble 100 watt amp (bear with me, at age 15 my budget is limited haha). I might as well give up at this point :bag:

15. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    Never give up!!
    You have much better gear than I had when I was 15... Your bass and amp are more than good enough to sound good. Just keep on playing, and you will see that a great deal of your sound is in your fingers.
    Have fun:)

16. Noobs

Noobs

Feb 11, 2008
    Good advice. This worked great for me as well

17. Wootsticks

Wootsticks

Jul 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I also have a fender rumble 100, a 1x15. How are the fifteen inch speakers for growling? I have tried the starting flat thing, but which frequencies do I boost for growl? The mid control on my bass is really quacky, in a bad way. I have a high mid and low mid on my amp.

EDIT: My amp doesn't have a gain knob, what's the equivalent?