1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Bass, harder to mute out string noise than other Basses?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 77 StingRayBass, Jul 9, 2012.

1. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

Sep 15, 2011
    Been playing my '77 StringRay Bass since '83. Got a Squire Jazz, and have been noticing that, ONLY when Thumpin', that the "E" string rings out, and more prominent than when I thump on my Stingray. Is this inherent with Jazz Basses? I don't want to use scrunchies because you lose the sustain. I know it's a technique thing, but just wanted to hear from Jazz bass players that play other Basses if this is also a problem to them.

2. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Well, I can't remember noticing any difference between my old Stingray and my more recent J deluxe. Been a while since I played them much, though.

IME, muting is a vital skill--especially since I switched to playing 5 stringers. And it's important for both slap and fingerstyle, although the techniques are different.

The best thing I can suggest is to read the material in the TB technique section for ideas, try 'em out, and see which feels most comfortable to you.

Using the base of my thumb and the heel of my hand works well for me, both in fingerstyle and slap. Of course, that means I keep my hand in tight on the strings--I don't flail away, IOW. Looking in a mirror, there's not much movement apparent.

Anyhow, that's the way my technique evolved as I was working on the muting thing.

3. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

Sep 15, 2011
    Thanks Ewo!
    I believe most of my problem is, a bad habit, that I thump pretty hard, Louis Johnson style, and that leads ME to a bad left hand muting techniques, which I'm really honing in on a trying to clean up.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    What type of strings on each bass and how old are they?

With the new bass, since it came with new strings, it probably rings out more.

Since you don't want to use scrunchies on the neck , how about a bit of foam under the the E string near the bridge on the Squire? Or put some under all the strings? Cut to size to get the "thumb/sustain" you want.

Also, I'm not sure that your goal of having the strings thump and sustain at the same time really would work?

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

It is definitely not a jazz bass thing, it is a technique thing, and you should not use a scrunchie to compensate for poor technique. Victor Wooten only does that when he uses intense slapping and such as he doesn't have a free hand to mute with, if you watch, he puts it back on the headstock for playing normally.

6. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    A fret dressing/job may be in order , my squier's fret-noisier than my [ex] lakland.

Of course ,it may be pebfaf.

7. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

Sep 15, 2011
    I use Boomer's on both Basses, and yes, it's a technique thing I've noticed more on the Jazz. The StingRay is my main Bass, and I learned how to work that Bass. It just seem's that the overtones on the Jazzes "E" string are more prominent, if that makes sense...

8. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    String height adjustments to compensate for boomy E string, ie raise the E saddle somewhat and opposite the rest. You may also have to adjust p/u height.
    Pretty common , I use compression so it's less noticeable , unless favoring the bridge p/u.

9. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Hmn...(thinking...)

The 'Ray has an ash body, and the J has an alder body, right? Like, more mids from alder. Hmn...overtones, you say.

Might be the explanation, there!

10. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

Sep 15, 2011
    Aside from the left hand, your suggestion makes alot of sense fraublugher. I can see the pick-up height thing. I've added a Audere preamp and Babicz bridge, BUT I still rolling with the stock "Duncan Design" pick-ups.

11. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    technique.

the tone of the new bass has uncovered a new aspect of your technique to work on. playing cleanly with no excess string ringing ******** is crucial. it's great when an instrument reveals a flaw in your technique... take it as a learning experience and improve what you do!

john

12. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Js are great to start out on. The tight strings allow for disallowing sloppy slap technique, and apparently this too.