1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Bass Harness Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by redsquidd, Apr 10, 2010.

1. redsquidd

redsquidd Banned

Mar 11, 2008
    I experimented and took out my Jazz Bass control plate (Vol.Vol.Tone) that were all audio taper pots and put in the same thing except that the tone control was a linear taper pot. When I had the 2 Audio taper Vol. and the 1 Linear taper Tone, the tone seemed a little flat, dull or diminished. Could someone explain this? Also, They both had a 047mfd 400v Sprague "Orange Drop" capacitor and all the pots were 250k CTS brand.

So basically, when all 3 pots (Vol, Vol, Tone) were 250k CTS brand audio, my jazz bass sounded nice and bright, but when I put the harness in with the 250 CTS brand linear pot, same cap., the sound was a little duller.

I use Nordstrand nj4se pickups and when through all three positions with the same results.

Also, could this be just a taste thing? I know every bass player has a different tone in mind and I like a more bright, bridge pickup Jaco-esq sound.
    Thanks...........