jazz bass help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WoodyG3, May 8, 2003.

1. WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I'm looking at getting a MIM Jazz bass soon, probably a deluxe with the active pups. As we all know, every guitar you pick up is a bit different from the other. It's almost like they have their own personalities. Anyway, can those of you who are j-bass experienced give me ideas as to what to look out for as I make my selection. For instance, are there common faults to look out for? Any little tests I should put the bass through before buying? This is only my second bass, so any info would be appreciated.

2. Check the pots. If there is any vertical play (as opposed to regular horizontal turning) be wary. Minor flaw on my P, but annoying.
  3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    In general when buying a MIM Fender you should just give every detail a rundown before buying the bass, as the QC on MIM Fenders is not that great. There are some really good MIM's out there, but there are some lemons too.
  4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

My fave luthier said

go for the made in america J Standard, he hated the J active electronics, but loved the standard.

It goes around here at around $750.00

Check it out.
  5. Ditto. Although a simple pickup swap makes a world of difference.

Still, I love the MIM basses, assuming it's a good one quality wise.
  6. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    The mexican deluxe has active electronics and passive pickups. I think that's what you meant. :)
  7. WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Right, it's the deluxe pickups with active electronics. Sorry.

Just wondering, what is it that people don't like about the active electronics? To me, it sounds better. Then again, I have all of thirty minutes experience playing around in the store.
  8. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I own a mim deluxe active 5 string, i bought it on sale for $479.00 with gig bag. I have owned it since the summer of 1998. I have never had any trouble out of it at all. when i first started looking at them, The store was having a Guitarist night out
    and there was a rep there from fender, who told me
    the mim went threw alot of quality checks, and when i looked over the bass, it was perfect, no rough fret edges, all frets were even, no scratchy pots, and the finish (candy apple red) was perfect.
    So i bought it, It sounds great, The active system
    works real nice. I use it for jazz, blues and heavy rock. I also own a mim fretless jazz, that i added seymore duncan p/u's, and it was a little banged up when i bought it, exept i did not like the passive stock p/u's. I bought it on scratch & dent sale for $250.00, has a small scratch on front, and a little dent on back of the neck, but all that damage was done at the store. I would recomend the mim deluxe. If you have any other question's feel free to ask, If you lived close by I would let you play
    it, to see if you like it.:bassist:
  9. Just give it a real good once over. Make sure you sight down the neck. I got one as my first bass (and still only bass), and I love it. If you get a good one, it's a great bass for the money.

For close to the same money you may want to also check out MTB Kingstons or a Conklin GT4 (on sale at Musiciansfiend.com for $449 right now).

May 7, 2003
    japanese fenders are made alot better than the mex's,and i have seen a few that were better than alot of the US's i've played,their Q.C. is alot more consitent than the mex's.On one hand you can play a mex thats great but play another one from the exact year and its horrible.Japanese are more consitent w/ making better playing guitars, i never played a crappy japanese,though a few did'nt sound great thats easyier to remedy than a bad neck or crappy frett work is. IMO i will only buy MIJ there price is great and they overall playability is un-equalled
  11. well my call is to see if the neck fits nicely into the body pocket
    some mim's are supposed to be a bit loose in that respect...not the bolts..
    the scratchplate is a good fit and hides the gap..
    but i dont really know how this affects playability
    when $ are a consideration it may be you have to trade off a bit of exactness for good fretting etc..
  12. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    That is true, the mij are great basses, I have 3
    Geddy lee jazz
    Sting Bass
    1994 fretless Jazz
    They are all very high quality, however on the Sting
    Bass, I played 3 different ones, and purchased the
    one that felt the best to me and played and sounded the best. I think with any brand, It is hit-n-miss on finding one you like. most stores will "hold" one for you, If you go there and spend some time playing it, and find one you like, but are not sure, have them hold it, usually 24-48 hrs that way you can go back and it will still be there.Also
    beat the crap out of these retailers, see if you can get a lower price, free case,free strap, maybe a free set of strings since demo model strings get alot of abuse.Dont let them jack you on urgency
    and rush you into a decision. In our present economy, these store are dying to turn there stock.
  13. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Not a bad bass that you're looking into. The bass is well balanced and has has a really good solid tone for a bass in its price range.

The lows are rich, deep, and full, the mids are nasely and cut through pretty nice, and it gets very crisp clear highs. I think the quality of these basses is better than that of the standerd model. Ive had one for 3 now and the fret wear is minimal, Its been dropped well fell off a few stands and not a single scratch, nick, dent, or ding to it, but more importantly it was still in tune.

This bass can also be used for a variety of music, Ive used them for Rock, Metal, Country, Reggae, Top-40, Funk, Smooth Jazz.

Its a very good bass for the price...Just sit down with one for at least an hour and experiment with the pickup selector, bass, mid, treb, controls to get a feel for all the sounds as well as playability issues.
  14. WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I decided against the active electronics and got an MIM Standard Jazz Bass in blue agave. It sounds pretty nice, and it sure is fun to play. I love that neck.:D

Thanks for your advice, everyone.
  15. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I hope enjoy many years of pleasure and joy with this fine instrument.

Goood luck,