1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Bass/Highway One

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JGT, Aug 1, 2007.

1. JGT

JGT

Aug 1, 2007
    I recently bought what I was told was a 2004 Jazz Bass. After doing some research and have found out it is actually a Highway One with a new pickguard. On my pickguard I have 6 holes which have no holes through the body behind them. Can anyone show me a picture with the original pickguard on it?

This is the same colour body/pickguard I have right now.
    http://www.fender.com/products/prod_images/basses/0136760341_xl.jpg

I was told that this wasn't original?

Thanks.

2. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    That pic looks like the MIM Active Deluxe. If that is what you have, then it is definitely NOT a Highway One. The only HW1s I have seen had white pickguards on them, but I didn't start really paying attention to them until recently when I bought one. The fact that yours has the extra holes in the p/g leads me to believe it is of the '62 variety and not original unless your bass is a '62 RI model. What are the first few digits of the serial number? Does it say Made In USA on it?

3. JGT

JGT

Aug 1, 2007
    That picture is the Active Deluxe, I was just showing that for the colour scheme. The serial starts off with Z3. Which means 03 or 04 correct? It says made in USA on it.

So this would leave me with a Highway One with a new pickguard?

4. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Is the finish on the body satin or gloss?

5. JGT

JGT

Aug 1, 2007
    I'm not sure how to tell the difference between the two?

6. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    one will look very shiny and glass-like (gloss) and the other (satin) will look somewhat flat looking and not shiny.

7. JGT

JGT

Aug 1, 2007
    I would say it looks like it's satin to me.

8. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    if it's satin it's a hwy. one

9. JGT

JGT

Aug 1, 2007
    With a new pickguard?

10. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Don't these all come with the mint pickguard as standard? Its an off white color. If so, I prefer the tort on white. Its classy! Mint guards look better on darker colors like black or red to me. On white they just look old and dirty.

11. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Fender.com says parchment pickguards and no Vintage Yellow body finish. The website, however, only reflects the newer, upgraded HW1 models. No telling what they may have been in the earlier runs. I seriously doubt if that is the original p/g, however. Normally they wouldn't have those extra holes unless it was an RI of some sort (typically '62)...

12. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    They did a yellowish/buff/cream/blonde sort of color on the Highway ones for a while.

That's what you have. Probably an aftermarket or RI pickguard from your description.

Where are the extra holes? Are they were the tug bar (below the G string) would go? If so, it's a RI guard
    How about a pic of the bass.

13. The first series of Highway ones came in see- through blond, red, sonic blue, black, or sunburst. The decal was spegetti style, and the bridge was the 60's style with ridges on the saddles. The new Highway Ones come with seventies bold decals and baddass bridges: I believe they have the same color choices all of which were satin nitrocellulose lacquer. It is possible to buff them out to give them a gloss finish, but it will not have the luster of a true gloss lacquer. As far as I know, all Highway ones came with white pickguards. I hope this helps clarify what you have.

14. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    yep, the extra holes are probably because it's a 62 RI pickguard like stated earlier. I have a tort 62RI guard on my Hwy. 1.

15. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    I love my HWY1. It's the new 3-color sunburst with the badass II bridge. I added a tort pickguard and tonight, I'm dropping a set of DiMarzio Model J's in. Quite possibly my favorite bass (just don't let my Spectors hear that...)